FT: Frame (Twin) Early Rapide Research: 1947

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And in Castilian Spanish at least the first 'c' is pronounced more like a 'th' in English,. I am not sure what a Mexican pronunciation would be.

craig

VOC Member
Early B UFM construction

More B Rapide trivia for Craig, I think. I have a Series B UFM from early 1948 and the reinforcing strips at the front of the tank where the bolts pass through for the head stock is made up of 4 pieces of steel strap (two each side and bent over the top) with very crude welding. I have pictures of another one from mid 1948 that has similar construction. Someone recently told me that the straps on a later 1948 UFM that they have are made from two pieces, one to each side. and the welding is not as crudely done. All three have the type A headstock with fork and rounded section. I see from the photos of the Brillus racer on the forum that it has only the two pieces for reinforcement, and I assume all later UFM's up to Series D are similar. So somewhere in later 1948 the UFM construction changed just a bit to use stamped or flame cut shaped reinforcing straps and someone learned how to weld better or a newer arc welder was purchased.

Ron

View attachment 3147
Hi Ron, Yes, the early Bs have this 4 piece UFM gusset construction, Thank you for posting. Also no needle valve. I don't have a feel for when this changed, but the C series I have to review have 2 piece construction.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
There are some concerns about Alex's crankcases as well...from what I hear second hand, something about the mating number...

Robert E Naess

Active Forum User
VOC Member
RE: Alex Noftsger's "Cinco".......Everything in Alex's estate was bequeathed to his cousin, and she was more than pleased to get the Vin and much other stuff as well as his property and house. I dealt with the disposition of Alex's firearms, so spent some time involved with the initial aftermath of his passing.
I recall that Alex's #5 Rap was not actually the real #5, but remember no details of this bit of lore. o doubt someone else has the true story........

Robert E Naess

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yeah, David, he will.......I don't know if he reads this site, so if I remember to ask him about Alex's Vin, I will. I just re-upped, having been a VOC member from 1971 until 1995 or thereabouts and let it lapse. I like this site!

davidd

VOC Member
Yeah, David, he will.......I don't know if he reads this site, so if I remember to ask him about Alex's Vin, I will. I just re-upped, having been a VOC member from 1971 until 1995 or thereabouts and let it lapse. I like this site!

Carleton does not read the site, but I mention him often and I send him any info that I think he would be interested in. Welcome back!

David

Robert E Naess

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks David! Hope you are doing well! I get all Bumpy's posts about sundry things, as you do also, no doubt. Might see him in a week or so. Bumpy, Nick Pierce, Vic Olsen, Jim Young and I had a dinner out at a posh restaurant a week or so ago just for the hell of it. Damn near constituted a New England section meeting, God forbid! To date there has never been such a section meeting that I ever heard of, so why spoilt a perfect record! 8^)