FT: Frame (Twin) Early Rapide Research: 1947

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am wanting the details around the Feridax rear badge on the early 1946-47 Feridax seats.
Is there any one who can share knowledge of this?
The badge appears a simple rectangle, and I hear it may be plastic?
View attachment 2000

I thought they were metal, but don't know for sure. Check out ebay, there is a guy selling repro but also seems to show what looks llike a picture of an original

davidd

VOC Member
Feridax had an imprinted design of gold lettering in block letters approximately 1/4" tall that was on the back of the seat. They also used a metal enameled badge. These appeared mostly on Series C seats. The details are in February of 1994 MPH Number 541.

David

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
FERIDAX2_zps4d3d8b17.jpg

FERIDAX1_zps3a607545.jpg

FERIDAX3_zpsb25cca96.jpg

craig

VOC Member
I am researching and finding the early B Rapides did not have the Amal rear float bowls listed in the 1954 Amal listing above. The early Amals had short arm bowls on both carbs, so an early Rapide 1946, 1947, and maybe 1948 would have -
front Amal - 276CJ/1DO - with short arm float bowl 1DO
rear Amal - 276CH/2DN - with short arm float bowl 2DN
short arm float bowls are difficult to access tuning, so it is easy to see why they were replaced.
long arm (1DV and 2DS) and short arm (1DO/2DN) Amal float bowls are easily interchanged.
But for the record.............
Craig
amal_image-2892_original.jpg

floatbowlweb.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Just a Note here - These PR38 are back available on ebay, I have no connection here other than promoting the install of original details on Vincent motorcycles.
I want a photo of a period Comet showing these PR38......I don't have such photo at this time
To restate my prior post -
I would recommend purchasing PR38 off EBay for fantastic quality and reasonable price.
I just purchased 10ea and they are works of art! Perfect!
If there are two items every Vincent I see is missing, it is PR38s, located in the correct location!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vincent-HRD-Miller-PR-38-electrical-connector-/321232225131?

This man is not going to be motivated to produce these very long into the future. Vincent items like this come and go depending on recent motivation.
I would recommend every Vincent owner buy these while they are here!
Just a thought!
Cheers
Craig

Last edited:

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Early B UFM construction

More B Rapide trivia for Craig, I think. I have a Series B UFM from early 1948 and the reinforcing strips at the front of the tank where the bolts pass through for the head stock is made up of 4 pieces of steel strap (two each side and bent over the top) with very crude welding. I have pictures of another one from mid 1948 that has similar construction. Someone recently told me that the straps on a later 1948 UFM that they have are made from two pieces, one to each side. and the welding is not as crudely done. All three have the type A headstock with fork and rounded section. I see from the photos of the Brillus racer on the forum that it has only the two pieces for reinforcement, and I assume all later UFM's up to Series D are similar. So somewhere in later 1948 the UFM construction changed just a bit to use stamped or flame cut shaped reinforcing straps and someone learned how to weld better or a newer arc welder was purchased.

Ron

damper install 3.JPG