FT: Frame (Twin) Early Rapide Research: 1947

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I think if you drill a 2BA hole between the 1/4 and 5/16 holes the FT203 will hold the plate to the FT22as by this method your plate self aligns for the spring angle.

craig

VOC Member
I am thinking about this No42E mount, based on all I have read (Throwing Light) and using the photo as reference, that the 42E mounts under the RFM leg bolt......which supposedly on an early B Rapide is a 5/16 BSF rather than the later 3/8 BSF. I have not confirmed this BSF personally yet. I flipped the parts manual MO22 drawing to show my thoughts.
MillerBrkLtSwMount1.jpg

index.php

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I believe this Miller No42E switch was only used on the first 341 Rapides, up thru chassis number R2340.....late 1947/early 1948.
After this, there were FT22/4 rear guard stays added along with FT203 special bolt and a PR39/1 Lucas stop light switch.
MillerNo42E1.jpg

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I am thinking about this No42E mount, based on all I have read (Throwing Light) and using the photo as reference, that the 42E mounts under the RFM leg bolt......which supposedly on an early B Rapide is a 5/16 BSF rather than the later 3/8 BSF. I have not confirmed this BSF personally yet. I flipped the parts manual MO22 drawing to show my thoughts.
View attachment 17897
index.php
Just to confuse you further, my "H.R.D." Parts list from around October 1947 shows part no. 561 going through from the INSIDE with 142 and 143 nut and washer outside. However, I have an early "B" R.F.M. with a 5/16" B.S.F. bolt going from the OUTSIDE in this location

vibrac

VOC Member
Your faith in final machine inspection when in the midst of post war shortages rationing lack of fuel coal and powercuts is perhaps a little unfounded to say nothing of all the long gone previous hands that machine has gone through.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Ee, lad I've little enough faith, these are just confusing, or confused observations. My knowledge is never in the "Thou speakest and I tremble" class! And you're right, most Australian early Twins went on the Speedway, and you had a half-pound of gravy beef with wot some of those fellers did.

craig

VOC Member
Looking for help on early windscreen and fairings, of this style, used on Vincents.
What is the make and model? I could reproduce this but more photos would be a help.
Thank you
Craig
Craig
WindscreenDetails.jpg