Series D details

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-VOLT-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20df3d97ac isn't Lucas but above the dash would look exactly as mine does. As the key is double sided it will be more secure than mine.

I've never found the need for a rubber boot as the rearward lean of the screen protects the dashboard even when riding in the sort of rain that fills my helmet up. Even parked in the rain the combination of screen and dash angle keep the electrics dry enough.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I've just done an ebay search for LUCAS SPB501 and they are available new in the UK. This will give you the look and the key. It listThey are listed as MGB, Midget, Triumph TR & GT6, Morris and Austin Healey. Shout if you can't get one shipped to the States.

davidd

VOC Member
The Lucas switch shown is not what I remember. I thought it was a barrel that was threaded and had s simple hex nut for locking. I can't seem to find a number for it.

The Smith's number for the gearbox is 70458/4

The Smith's number for the bracket is 25578/1

David

craig

VOC Member
Parts in today - SL5 pair, new pieces requiring trim to correct shape. They look fantastic! Rubber and stainless 1093 from Peter. Hi quality! 10 x 32 nut plates from Ebay to be installed in SL1 to hold F700 Lucas head lamp.
20140205_NewSl5Pair.jpg
20140205_Parts.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Maybe you just drill a round hole and mount ignition switch and not worry with a special shaped hole?
Next question - I have a U39 Lucas light switch and an SL17 mount plate, they fit together well, I get the wire clip that is supposed to hold the switch, it seems self explanatory, but it is not for me!
Which direction is the clip used? tits up or tits down?
where do the free ends ...end up?
should I make the plastic groove wider so the wire fully engages?
This SL17 is 0.060" thick, wire is 0.065", groove is 0.118".....so only 0.007" diff.....probably could grind clip wire, but I need explanation, preferably in a picture format, of how this clip is used.
Thanks
Craig
see photo -
LucasLightSwClipWire.jpg

b'knighted

VOC Member
Ordered Lucas switch, from Ebay, that met all my requirements - adjustable mount thickness, round Lucas logo key heads, associated with Jaguar XKE, comes in a red box, etc, etc.....
Need advice on cutting a flat sided exact hole in fiberglass for Lucas switch, .........maybe a sheet metal backer?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380825295532?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
View attachment 2179
Drill a hole no bigger than the distance across the flats and file to fit. To avoid edge chipping, file from the front without dragging the file backwards across the edge. You could draw the shape on masking tape as a guide if required.
Alternatively make large washer with flats and glue it under a full sized round hole in dashboard.

craig

VOC Member
Thanks Ian, Were the original D cowls , SL1, supplied with shaped hole? Just curious, thanks.
I am waiting on new Lucas switch before I drill any holes...so a couple days here.
My 80mm hole saw is due in today for speedo hole carving, fabbed a steel 1/8" U bracket for speedo.....still wondering what the original speedo bracket "feet" looked like......metal? rubber?
Handlebar space for dip/horn/kill/brake/clutch/lift is challenging......I now understand why 1" was added.
LucasIgSwHole.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Drilled three #10 holes for F700 headlamp mount, put together with screws and nuts...looked at future maintenance and decided loose nuts not so good.......ordered 10 x 32 nut plates Ebay......mounted nut plates with screw on face side for pattern, drilled tiny holes. Cell phone camera operation limited by operator.
20140205_nutPltDril.jpg

craig

VOC Member
I was going to wait for Ebay 3/32 aluminum pop rivets to mount these nut plates, but I needed progress......went to local hardware store, Solenbergers, and found miniature metric? flat head screws and nuts in 2mm x 10 size......bought six of each.......mounted the three 10 x 32 nut plates. These nut plates (aircraft type) are mechanical lock type, so they are tight to screw into......you don't want longer than needed screws. If I continue to use the tiny 2mm hardware, in this app , I am going to Loctite each one.
20140206headlampnutplates.jpg