Series D details

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am struggling to understand the ignition switch mounting in the series D dashboard. It seems the proper Lucas ignition switch would not have enough threads to allow the hex nut to fully engage. also question - was a flat sided round hole carved in the fiberglass for this Lucas ignition switch? The plastic cover and item available in 1955?

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Hi Craig

Don't take it to the bank, but if I remember correctly the hole has a flat. The switch had enough thread to penetrate
the different thickness of a fiberglass layup that always exist.

Best MAX

craig

VOC Member
Max, Thanks, that is what it looks like to me as well. but the switch has 3/16 of thread, the fiberglass is 3/16......so sumpthin else is needed for Lucas keyed ignition switch. I would like to have a Lucas logo switch key, kinda like the plastic cover but the clearish plastic looks like 1965 rather than 1955......black rubber would be better. I am thinking about a metal plate on back side of dash to take strain of key on/off twisting. I need adjustable mount depth on Lucas ignition switch......maybe someone has experience with this?
This is a catalog photo of the OEM Lucas switch.
Lucas31083.jpg

craig

VOC Member
I gather enough courage today to carve out the dash holes for Lucas light switch and Lucas ammeter. I found center of the three holes, (amp, switch, speedo) marked them, center punched with a spring loaded punch, then hand drilled each center with an 1/8" drill. using the cordless drill, I started each hole in cutting mode for pilot bit, then stopped and switched drill to reverse, carved in reverse thru gel coat, switched to forward and drilled thru. Using tape didn't make sense as the tape cannot add strength to the gel coat, but might clog the hole saw teeth. The hole sawing went surprisingly smoothly. Only did the ammeter and switch holes. I am using a Dremel with a 1/2" sanding drum to adjust any clearance issues.
20140204_InstrHoles1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Second instrument hole completed. I was going to fabricate a wooden base to drill on, but opted to simply push the cowl against the wall and workbench top with minor padding. This technique worked just fine.
20140204_InstrHoles2.jpg

b'knighted

VOC Member
I use a switch which has a round top nut with a slot. This nut screws onto, but not over the top.
Below the panel the extended thread carries a thin hexagonal nut which allows adjustment for panel thickness. It has either one or two flats to hold it against key rotation.
It is possible that it is not original but it is of the period and uses a Lucas key of the sort used on fifties/sixties British cars. Probably FT or FS series. It offers marginally more security than the screwdriver type key.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I would think that the switches for any british cars with wooden dash boards would have a longer thread, than the ones fitted to minis and MGBs.
I am pretty sure my Prince switch has the slotted top nut.

craig

VOC Member
Thanks Ian, Yes I need that type switch. Ebay? Hitchcocks? Grove? .....I would like a Lucas key for show and tell.
I wanted to see how this work with SL1 fiberglass looked so far. I refitted SL1 cowl and just dropped in the two (ammeter & switch).
I settled on a new old stock Lucas CZU27 white face but it does not have red dot, I would trade for a red dot model, low priority.
Waiting for my eBay shopping - nutplates, Lucas dipper, 80mm hole saw, Speedo flange, etc.
Ice storm last night kinda dampens Comet rides for a day or so.
Received a 37 speedo cable and it looks like standard speedo wheel drive can be tilted back and used for S.433 speedo. Refit 433 with flanged rim.
Need to bend right front brake arm to the outside to provide clearance.

20140204_TrialFitInst.jpg

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Ian, Yes I need that type switch. Ebay? Hitchcocks? Grove? .....I would like a Lucas key for show and tell.
I wanted to see how this work with SL1 fiberglass looked so far. I refitted SL1 cowl and just dropped in the two (ammeter & switch).
I settled on a new old stock Lucas CZU27 white face but it does not have red dot, I would trade for a red dot model, low priority.
Waiting for my eBay shopping - nutplates, Lucas dipper, 80mm hole saw, Speedo flange, etc.
Ice storm last night kinda dampens Comet rides for a day or so.
Received a 37 speedo cable and it looks like standard speedo wheel drive can be tilted back and used for S.433 speedo. Refit 433 with flanged rim.
Need to bend right front brake arm to the outside to provide clearance.

View attachment 2169

If you go too any chain Auto Store such as AUTO ZONE , you will find the switch you need under Marine application. The black rubber boot will be available as well.

craig

VOC Member
Thanks Max, I want a "Lucas" logo key and Lucas logo cap....so not at corner store, but an option.
I am looking at the Smiths Chronometric Speedo bracket FF85, and I realize my questions are quite specific to closed D series.
Anybody photo a D series speedo bracket? Here is my plan if the ice melts. What are these "feet" on the bracket ends?
FF85Draw.jpg