Series D details

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To use the D pattern without a bottoming tap, drill through into the damper rod thread. Tap side screw holes then clean damper rod thread with tap.

craig

VOC Member
Thanks, I will get this done.
New switch with Lucas key as photo'd thru a dusty windscreen with cell phone......amazing cell camera.
Smiths 433 .....I had to go back to std bezel, as the repro flanged bezel did not thread on and hold well.
20140314_KeySw.jpg

craig

VOC Member
drilled thru steel insert of FT96, this allowed std tap to go in far enough for useable threads. Seems robust enough to last long term.
Extended odometer reset on my S.433 working well, as I use the odometer for gas mileage/travel range.
20140315_FT284ScrewFix.jpg

craig

VOC Member
To allow use of the stock "C" model speedo drive simply rotated down to horizontal, along with an extended "D", 37", PR31/3AS Speedo cable, a bend in the brake arm was required as shown. Prior to bending out at the angle shown, it was rubbing on the cable nut (shiny surface). This has worked fine for me for a couple hundred miles so far. 6" snow due tomorrow. Maybe I should have gone for bigger fairing
Cheers
Craig
20140315_brake arm.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Here is a side view showing original speedo drive rotated to allow longer speedo cable to SL1 cowl fixed speedo.
It has worked without incident for couple hundred miles.
Speedo cable is routed up thru the Girdraulic lower link for least stress route to speedo
20140315_BrakeSideView.jpg

craig

VOC Member
If you had used the correct drive box for an enclosed machine, you would not have needed to bend the brake arm.
You are correct and it was an option for me to find, purchase, overhaul and install a PR32/2. This was much simpler and the arm was repro.
I was hoping this would inform others of an option when considering a chassis fixed speedo mount.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have used rear brake arms on the front, as they are 50% longer and are looped the other way they give more brakeing effort and move the cable out at the same time, this is needed if you using alloy brakeplates with air scoops and would clear your speedo drive. A win win situation.
Chris.