Series D details

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So, D men, What are the dimensions on the original SL16 angle brackets?
AngleBrackets2HolesDrawing.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Here is my only reference photo, pretty good, but isn't there an official print or research done on this? too obscure?
Is the PR363 installed thin or thick edge up?
SL16RefPic.jpg

craig

VOC Member
I scaled my photo to estimate the SL16 dimensions. Came up with the following dimensions, off to fabricate, small item, easy to fab, obscure but needed.
3/4" width, zinc plated steel strap should be a local item.
SL16DimDraw.jpg

drawing not to scale

nkt267

VOC Member
Oh if only I could find my know thy beast! I thought BA threads came into speedos somewhere...
0ba if i remember correctly,often confused with 1/4 BSF..Why is my computer printing numbers in lower case????John

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
0ba if i remember correctly,often confused with 1/4 BSF..Why is my computer printing numbers in lower case????John

Robin is correct in an earlier post. All threads and dimensions on Smiths chronometric speedos are metric, internal and mounting. The two mounting studs in question are M6x1. An 0ba nut will fit, but not properly as they have a thread angle of 47.5 degrees against metric which is 60 degrees.

The Smiths chronometric instruments were a development of the Jaeger instrument of the 1920's of which Jaeger was French hence the metric dimensions. I believe somewhere in time Smiths purchased Jaeger.

Simon

A_HRD

VOC Member
Robin is correct in an earlier post. All threads and dimensions on Smiths chronometric speedos are metric, internal and mounting. The two mounting studs in question are M6x1. An 0ba nut will fit, but not properly as they have a thread angle of 47.5 degrees against metric which is 60 degrees.

The Smiths chronometric instruments were a development of the Jaeger instrument of the 1920's of which Jaeger was French hence the metric dimensions. I believe somewhere in time Smiths purchased Jaeger.

Simon

Simon is right of course. The Smiths takeover was, I suspect, during the 1930s because most Series 'A' machines had speedos with both Smith and Jaeger emblazoned on the face.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Craig, Have you stopped thevincent.com site ? I have a quick look most days, But can't get it for a few days, Cheers Bill.