FT: Frame (Twin) Early Rapide Research: 1947

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the post on PR38. I am still looking for these PR38 for my B Rapide, but I think all Vincents, B & C, used these connectors and it is a detail ignored by all. I see a very specific routing of the wire harness and positioning of the PR38 to take advantage of the rubber sleeve cover design.

craig

VOC Member
On the 1947 Rapide kick start shaft of G83AS, I have a large hairpin spring in addition to the standard G87/1. It is not addressed in any book I have and had me a little confused rebuilding a 1950 engine without a G50 plate. Now I have a G50 plate and the G50 does not have a tapped hole for this hairpin spring stop. How many early B Rapides have this additional kick start hairpin spring? Can it be removed? Not needed? aftermarket addition?

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
1947 one of the first made uk regoGNK564 works hack for many years Roy Harpers book vincent HRD gallary page 53 VOC have details

craig

VOC Member
Thank you David, Yes I see GNK564 in this book. It is beyond the John Bull foot rests, or maybe the rubber replaced, low fender mount for rear stand, but before water excluders introduced. Do you know the engine number for this Rapide?

clevtrev

VOC Member
Thank you David, Yes I see GNK564 in this book. It is beyond the John Bull foot rests, or maybe the rubber replaced, low fender mount for rear stand, but before water excluders introduced. Do you know the engine number for this Rapide?
That Rapide resides here on the South Coast. It had NO numbers of any description, engine or frame, and the cases featured a B timing half of case, and a C drive side case. Make of it what you will.

craig

VOC Member
Thanks Trev, any more details would be great. Is this Rapide shown in any late publications?

That Rapide resides here on the South Coast. It had NO numbers of any description, engine or frame, and the cases featured a B timing half of case, and a C drive side case. Make of it what you will.

craig

VOC Member
so 1950 Shadow? or 1947 B Rapide?

vincent-hrd-05.jpg

A_HRD

VOC Member
Craig,

Clearly built (possibly with new cases) to be a B Rapide. Who's calling it a Shadow?!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

craig

VOC Member
Looks like a calendar photo to me, based on my earlier calendar photos posted in the shop.
Found on a random Black Shadow internet search.
Any photos posted of a Vincent are a good thing.
I am searching for Black shadow engine cases photos, period photos or unrestored bikes,
fs_7107024-91-2.jpg