FT: Frame (Twin) Early Rapide Research: 1947

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have seen that type of brake lever before somewhere, I can't remember where but there is a ratchet mechanism so the brake can be pulled on and locked.
I think the glass is just a fluted one.

b'knighted

VOC Member
There's a surprising number available now, probably because of quad bikes.
Modern Parking brake lever.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Thank you all, so a parking brake, using the Vincent front brake, for the sidecar rig. Makes sense to me.
Is this locking, parking brake a common thing for sidecar rigs?

davidd

VOC Member
I never used one or saw one, but I rarely had anything in the side car except a back pack. I did use a brake on the side car wheel, but it was actuated by installing a brake lever where the ball end of the lever was pushed down by installing the lever under the foot pad of the rear brake pedal. It is likely that it more important for heavier rigs.

David

nkt267

VOC Member
i knew I'd seen something like that before..this is on a BSA winged wheel moped

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.28_19h06m51s_001_.png
    Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.28_19h06m51s_001_.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 45

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Harry Cox of Exeter who rode a Brough SS80 & Blacknal side car from 1939 till 1990, born 1898, also had three "A" Rapide's along with a host of other exotica but all outfits had hand brakes in a form so simple and worked well, a fine tapered piece of hardwood with a hole to attach a lanyard to, simply wedged it into lever between cable and pivot point.
may be not as aesthetically pleasing as a BSA winged wheel model but did cause amusement at rallies. I have one on my rotorvater slack is no drive, taught is drive.
bananaman

craig

VOC Member
Hardwood wedge sounds like the same piece/device used to hold full advance on the ATD. I like it , good idea. Any photos?
Cheers
Craig

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I think the front brake lever attachment may be a locking device to give the outfit the equivilant of a car handbrake -useful on a sidecar outfit. Some wartime military BSAs had a similar device.