norvin

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Jesus.
I've just been flyin over the "Cat and Fiddle " on my Norvin ,on the finest November day this century.

How good does life get?

IMG_1586.jpg

Peter. C

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Jim - Re centre stand, a Series D stand fits snugly over the large boss on wideline frame which then needs to be drilled through to take spindle. It is slighltly further back than desirable but has been on my Viscount for 20 plus years with no problems. You might need to adjust length of legs depending on suspension fitted

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The stand was bespoke on this Norvin.
There are no lugs on a manx frame so we had to fabricate some.
The difficult bit was the spring and getting it to pull up properly.
We ended up using a flat strip of spring steel about 2" wide which was a sod to fit but works prfectly.

The centre stand was one of the hardest parts to design and fabricate but I wanted one incase the bike was hard to start.
As it turned out it isn't, but I still prefer starting it on the stand.

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This is how much had to be removed from the rear nearside frame plate to fit the uncut motor in.

IMG_0358.jpg

This is how the stand and spring look, if you lie on the floor!

IMG_0357.jpg

Rocket3

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Phelps, How did you get on with the BSA front brake? i have been thinking of a Manx Norton front brake but if the BSA one works ok it could save me some money.

Last edited:

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
On the road the double BSA was 'ok' When I started racing on it, Debo said give me that front brake. He took it away and gave it to a bloke who had worked for Ferrodo. When I used it next the braking had improved no end. Took me a couple of races to get used to it. I was braking way too early. What he had done was put three different types of lining material on it. The trailing shoes had one type of lining, but the leading shoes had two different grades of lining. The first 1 1/2" of the shoes has what I believe is a harder material. This is the part of the brake that cops the severest braking. There is then a small gap of about 1/4" to the rest of the lining. What the lining materials are I do not know, I was never told but it does work very well.

stroudjohn

Forum User
VOC Member
I bought a Norvin special in bits; the "frame" is highly modified and is like an Upper Frame Member. Everything else is Norton. I can supply pics if wanted.