norvin

metal bits

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
nice job what ellectrics does it have cant see a battery oil tank must be under fuel tank
is a 52 manx frame simalar to a ordernary wideline

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Unity Equipe has a GRP tank p/n UNA1 that has an integral oil tank.

I have wondered how hot the tank would feel to the touch. An A Twin would have the same potential issue.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Instead of using a Norton frame there is now an alternative in current production designed specifically to take a Vincent engine, it combines stiffness and correct geometry its front end is radical (as much as the latest BMW's) and its rear end has the same design as many Yamaha motorcycles. Racers and tourers alike have found that with the use of Modern Hydraulic units the ride is superb.
The firm who originally designed the frame are now unfortunately out of business but another company has taken up the mantle and is making them to order
The original firm were based at Stevenage somewhere....:D

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You nearly got me going Tim, I am getting very Slow !! Hello Bruce, I have an Oil Tank on the side of the petrol tank on my Special, A steel tank, And never noticed any heat from it, Mind you it has a lot of Filler on the outside !! Cheers Bill.

jim burgess

VOC Member
I finished my Norvin 2 years ago, road going wideline frame with an unchopped rapide engine. It will all fit but... you will need to file a slight (half inch radius) curve out of the front of the left hand rear frame gusset to clear the swinging fork mount on the back of the primary side. IF, I were to do this agian, I would reccomend buying am alloy fuel tank with an integral oil tank. I made a centrally mounted stainless oil tank that lives between the rear frame rails, it needed a cut out to allow air into the rear head bell mouth, two front heads... This work alone nearly equated to all the work on the rest of the bike. IF, you were to commission a special Norton frame new, then I would seriously consider making it oil in frame in a similar way the Rickman Brothers did. But, IF I were to consider such a thing, then I would ditch the Norvin idea all together and build somthing out of flat sheet alloy along the lines of the Hagon racers, which I understood were still being made ijn the 80's. Whichever I would seriously consider using modern forks and twin disc front brakes. Unity Equipe can supply you with engine plates, it really will all fit, just...
Have fun keep us all posted. Best of luck.
Jim

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
I cannot quite see why anyone would want to build a special with 1960s handling, apart from just putting the thing in a shop window or museum, or posing.
If the requirement is for a bike to be ridden in 2011, then EGLI has shown a technically competent way to do it.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
I cannot quite see why anyone would want to build a special with 1940 engine apart from just putting the thing in a shop window or museum, or posing.
If the requirement is for a bike to be ridden in 2011, then a universal motorcycle has shown a technically competent way to do it.
The reason we do build these bikes is because we can we and we do enjoy building and riding them. They are different and even though the universal motorcycle can now do between 150 and 200 mph, see what the plods and the government and brain washed Joe average thinks about it.

vibrac

VOC Member
I cannot quite see why anyone would want to build a special with 1960s handling, apart from just putting the thing in a shop window or museum, or posing.
If the requirement is for a bike to be ridden in 2011, then EGLI has shown a technically competent way to do it.
I hate to puncture a dream but I bought my Egli Frame (EV16) not too far into the 60's £78 for frame and swinging arm and £35 for metal profile forks. ring Chaddesley corbett 415 and see if Roger has any left....
(Oh and tell him to keep the Robinson 4 leading shoe front brake)

jim burgess

VOC Member
Diogenes, if you don't want to do it, don't do it, buy a Honda... it is cheaper quicker, stops better, handles better, than a Norvin or your Vincent, so if your so fed up with your Vin, pass it on to me. Oh and the Norvin handles surprisingly well, it will lean into a bend further than I will push.
Cheers
Jim

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I know what he means, But then I always wanted Pete Ross's Vicount, It's nice to see something different, The way I did it was to use a D top tube for £7 and D spring unit with Norton Forks, Very Simple, Like me !! Cheers Bill.