Misc: Electrical (General) LED Indicators

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have not seen a positive earth Vincent, Norton yes, but not Vincent.
View attachment 58785
I must be electrically insensitive, as I can not tell them apart.
When I put my Norton back on the road, I wired it negative earth, and flashed the dynamo to suit. It would have needed flashing anyway, as the genny had been on a shelf for more years than I care to remember. Eventually I reversed the ammeter wires so that charge and discharge showed the right way round. That was a waste of effort, as the needle fell off. Pattern spares......

craig

VOC Member
BatteryMountVincentTwin.jpg

danno

Non-VOC Member
My Rap then was restored with the original positive earth configuration.
LED’s are polarity sensitive so will need the right ones. Maybe best to get all the parts from Paul Goff’s Site although
the flasher units won’t be self cancelling.
Not going to be a quick job.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I thought all rivet counters kept to positive earth as all were originally (else deduct 3 concours points:)) except according to the new testament (KTB) "most series D had negative earth "
seriously I guess all B& C are now negative earth but it aint what PCV intended as far as I remember
I am seriously confused by this, both the Vincent handbooks that I can lay my hands on, Sixth Edition 1952, and Eigth Edition 1955 clearly show negative earth in the wiring diagrams, as does Paul Richardson in his book, surely they cannot all be wrong.

vibrac

VOC Member
Now you have got me really confused Tim, I thought it was the other way round, and so did Paul Richardson, page 135.
Quote KTB
"although the diagram (in the spares list and vincent motorcycles) shows positive earth most series D have negative earth"

Of course I have neither of those other books to hand.......
so I to am ?

craig

VOC Member
I see the D Series harness diagram shows a positive ground, hence the reference in KTB to this detail.
Many years and I never noticed that MO108.
I show negative ground for A,B, & C Series.

20230311_DSeriesHarness2.jpg

Last edited: