Misc: Electrical (General) LED Indicators

Jim Bush

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am using the same Kellermann indicators (ATTO) on my D Comet Replica, but that does not have a 5" speedo bracket, and I refuse to drill the headlamp shell, but there is rubber grommet fitted at the rear of the headlamp shell that lends itself to having a small hole drilled through it to accept 1 x threaded LED, hence the problem, only one LED idiot light for both left and right indicators.
A simple solution that avoids drilling metal, is to mount the LED idiot lights in the back of the ammeter. The Miller ammeter is white translucent plastic, and can be carefully drilled, any debris vacuumed out and LED super-glued in place. I have done that on two bikes now - this one had 3 LED,s Red ignition, Orange direction indicators and blue high beam. These are 4mm dia, 12V LEDs available in bulk on Amazon for cheap.

Attachments

• Ammeter1.jpg
    Ammeter1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200716_110824.jpg
    20200716_110824.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 20

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
1680804059272.png
If you use the handle bar switch to determine which set of lights to ground you will avoid feed back to the other set. If you want the warning light to flash option1 will break power to the waring light as well as the turn signal lights. If you want a solid warning light option 2 places the warning parallel to the circuit. If you put the warning light in series after the switch the flashers will fail if the warning light fails. No need for diodes with this.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Is this difficult to achieve, or even possible, I would like to wire up one LED idiot flasher to my L + R indicators, I did a quick lash up this afternoon with a terminal block connector, and all I achieved was to have all my indicators working in unison, in other words my additional LED idiot flasher just made a complete circuit with all of the indicators, I should add that I know very little about the black art that is electricity.
Thanks for your advice and suggestions guys, all sorted now, in the end I fitted one of Paul Goff's tweakers, which was dead easy to fit, 4 x connections, all inside the headlamp shell, works a treat, that is why this forum is so good, so much instant knowledge at ones fingertips. Cheers
Peter

Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for your advice and suggestions guys, all sorted now, in the end I fitted one of Paul Goff's tweakers, which was dead easy to fit, 4 x connections, all inside the headlamp shell, works a treat, that is why this forum is good, so much instant knowledge at ones fingertips. Cheers
That’s good. Is that using LED indicators?
My installation will be from scratch but I do have the wiring in place from the previous bulb type ones.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Yes, I went down the Kellermann route on both my riders, Rapide and D Comet, the Rapide is sick at the moment and in hospital, but hoping for a full recovery, the Kellermann indicators are IMHO the best, and you pay accordingly, I also went for the Kellermamm flasher unit, video now uploaded, It took me a while to work out how to reduce the file size, I learnt all this internet stuff a bit late in life, but just about manage to muddle through.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for your advice and suggestions guys, all sorted now, in the end I fitted one of Paul Goff's tweakers, which was dead easy to fit, 4 x connections, all inside the headlamp shell, works a treat, that is why this forum is so good, so much instant knowledge at ones fingertips. Cheers
Peter
View attachment 59352
Thanks for the vid. Those indicators are tiny.
Just wondering what the switchgear is. I take it it’s not self cancelling.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thanks for the vid. Those indicators are tiny.
Just wondering what the switchgear is. I take it it’s not self cancelling.
Switchgear is Honda Monkey Bike, Dax, the neatest unit I could find, I dislike the bigger switches fitted to Japanese bikes, classic or modern, they push the lever over to far for my liking, or the switch over to far, depending how you configure it. It is not self cancelling, but I almost prefer it not being so, but I definitely needed an idiot indicator warning light as I have left them winking away for miles, which can be dangerous.
When you first take them out of the packaging you think to yourself, they are very small, they won’t even be seen when in use, but they are astonishingly bright, and very visible, even at long distance, I first saw them whilst visiting the Godet works, I think they fit them to all their Egli’s.

Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
Switchgear is Honda Monkey Bike, Dax, the neatest unit I could find, I dislike the bigger switches fitted to Japanese bikes, classic or modern, they push the lever over to far for my liking, or the switch over to far, depending how you configure it. It is not self cancelling, but I almost prefer it not being so, but I definitely needed an idiot indicator warning light as I have left them winking away for miles, which can be dangerous.
When you first take them out of the packaging you think to yourself, they are very small, they won’t even be seen when in use, but they are astonishingly bright, and very visible, even at long distance, I first saw them whilst visiting the Godet works, I think they fit them to all their Egli’s.
Thanks, that’s useful.
I have a warning light hole in the headlight so good idea to fit one if the indicators are not self cancelling.
No need if I go the Badlands module route.
The Kellerman indicators are £130 just for two. I think considering the cheap M&P incandescent ones I’ve taken off have been good for thirty years, I’ll probably go for a set and flasher unit from Paul Goff.

The chrome indicator/horn switch can stay even if it is a bit fiddly to clamp on.
Ease of fitting and reliability/compatibility is worth paying more for though as it’s not the only job I’m doing at the moment.
If the Kellermans are a doddle to fit, it might be worth the extra.
I need to make up something to mount the rear ones on whatever I go with.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
ARH CUSTOM sell the standard Kellermann Atto indicator for £50.00 each, so £200.00 the set, I did pick up 2 off EBay on a make an offer purchase, I think £30.00 each, but they were with smoked lenses, which are around £58.00 each, but quite honestly, the actual lens is so minuscule you would not notice whether it was smoked or not, I know you can get indicators one hell of a lot cheaper, but I love those Kellermanns and don’t regret the expense one bit, the quality remains when the cost is forgotten.