Irving Vincent Four Valve Engine

D

Deleted member 1085

All good points reflecting on my brief tantrum . And noted . For a moment it did seem like jtan . UGH . Just what I left behind .
Meant in no way to slight others way of enjoying their Vincents . A ridiculous thought . Sid .

There is nothing wrong with jtan, this forum or many others as such, it's the posts and people who make it.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Sid, When I was playing with the old type concentric, I tried opening the float needle hole, Like they do for methanol, It didn't help me, I wonder if the trouble is petrol getting past the main needle and needle jet when flat out, Is there some kind of flow test for petrol ? It must be hard to tell without the motor running. Good luck with your hospital trip, Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I've often wanted to go back to jtan , had many friends there I missed , but unpleasant memories stopped me . There were many who offered much good stuff one could learn from . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for your kind words Bill . Never fun in the bone yard ! And you feel so cut off from others .
An interesting point re the fuel flow rate . Did you also add a second hole in the bowl entry banjo bolt ? And enlarge the opening right below the float needle orifice , the drilling in the bowl casting itself pointing up towards the needle tip ? Both of these passages
limit flow . What fuel used , what size main jet ? Sid .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Sid, It was a long time ago, People said , You needed twin feed pipes, Or the petrol tap was too small, It made me mad, So I gave up and went to gardners With no float, Straight from the tank !! Good Luck, Bill.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Thanks for your kind words Bill . Never fun in the bone yard ! And you feel so cut off from others .
An interesting point re the fuel flow rate . Did you also add a second hole in the bowl entry banjo bolt ? And enlarge the opening right below the float needle orifice , the drilling in the bowl casting itself pointing up towards the needle tip ? Both of these passages
limit flow . What fuel used , what size main jet ? Sid .
Are you telling us the fuel flow was no good, when you were getting 125MPH on the road ? If that were the case, you may have changed something when you went to the track. Something other than taking the road gear off. 20% less speed is a bit of a puzzle.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
You misread . The Vincati was showing that , the 600 close behind . Stephen Pâté was on the Vincati , ask him . Five of our own Vincent s were on a group ride that day , all going like the clappers , can vouch for my story . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Bill , your experiance with the Gardners was satisfactory ? Your port size and the Gardner size was ? Sid .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Sid, At that time, It was 32mm Port and carb', The bike went from 110 mph concentric, To 130mph Gardner on Flying 1/4 mile, This was in the road class, But with open exhaust, Mk11 cams and big pistons, Cheers Bill. Trev' Be nice !!.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On that group ride it was Ian Barry of Falcon Motors up on the 600 , his FIRST ride on a Vincent and going like blazes !
Never a fouled plug or any other problem with any of our bikes , all returned with nary a whimper still running sweet as a nut . Sid .