Irving Vincent Four Valve Engine

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Might make more power with the rear head than a front . No knuckle curve in the manifold , a straighter shot in , better velocity , ram and swirl . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Bill , can't recall what an EI carb is , any details , photos , info on its jetting ? Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Bill , I think the lack of a bowl vent causes problems operating at speeds beyond street running . Sid .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You have not seen my manifold Sid !! It's a bit of car exhaust, With a big bend in it !! The E.I. looks super ! Good alloy, Flat slide with float bowl underneath, You adjust mixture by moving the needle up or down, Like a Gardner, No pilot jet. I think they were used on USA motocrossers. What put me off them was I had heard they flood bad when you are at speed, And they did it with me when I was testing on a local motorway at high speeds, The back of the bike was awash with petrol, Not nice, I did a few Road Races with them on my Special, Just befor I built the L/ning, Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sid, The E.I.Carb' has two vent pipes that cross over and that's where the petrol pours out, Only every now and again, Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Bill , sounds like there is severe float bounce at speed or vibration unseats the needle . I've seen the same thing before where vibration did it shortly after starting a motor ! Stick lead weight to the side of the carb body to alter its response to the vibes coming off the cylinder head . A stick on car wheel rim weight . Sid .

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
To clarify, Sid mentions that some or all of the Irving bikes are running methanol. Would the horsepower numbers quoted be on methanol?
Also, any idea what the weights are on the solo bikes? Alan Cathcart tested their 1300 awhile back, I recall that he very much liked it but found it very heavy for a racer, over 400 lbs dry, from memory? I'll see if I can find the article.
Glen

Last edited:

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Irving Vincent s Ken Horner is focusing on a considerable reduction in weight right now , aiming for 350 pounds . They were earlier as heavy as 412 pounds . Magnesium will be used where suitable . The rules in Australia permit Methanol in their class and all runners use it .
They won the Avon Trophy but so far have not received the miniature of that marvelous piece . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I have great photos of the 4 valve motor running on the dyno , and they do burn Methanol during those tests . 184 bhp has been held with the latest heads , these have cast in skulls having the seat rings made integral . Ken says this is working well . Sid .

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The horsepower numbers on their website appear to be rounded off BHP numbers rather than RWHP numbers. This makes sense as manufacturers have been doing it that way for eons.
By way of comparison, Terry Prince told me that his Bonneville hotrod has dynod 142 rwhp also on methanol. This equates to about 160 bhp assuming 10 to15% drive train loss, really pushing it for 1350cc and the original cases from the bike he bought at age 17.
Steve Hamels results might be more indiciative of what is possible for a road engine, over 100 rwhp, 998 cc on pump gas.
I'm not sure that any of these creations would make long term high mileage road engines, but a lot is learned when the envelope is pushed!

Glen