Irving Vincent Four Valve Engine

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
To Bnighted , could I see your 636 Comet ? Our 90 bore single in street rim was amazingly effective too . Swap you photos ? Sid .

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Fully agree with ABCD . They are aiming for a dry weight of 350 lbs , what an amazing feat , superb beauty with great reliability , huge power and all the speed one could dream of . And the weight of a stripped 500 Tiger Triumph racer .
What a dream that would be . Narrow , low and light with huge torque right up the range . Covers all bases .
With modern streamlining 200 mph is within reach , on a street ridden machine . But only a fool would hide that beautiful powerunit ! Maybe transparent fairings ? Sid .

Now you've put the cat among the pigeons Sid, we'll have to start a new thread for 'Transparent D enclosures' !! I friend of mine went to the doctors wrapped in cling film. The doctor said " I can clearly see your nuts" !!

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
To Bnighted , could I see your 636 Comet ? Our 90 bore single in street rim was amazingly effective too . Swap you photos ? Sid .

Here's Ian's Comet sandwiched between lesser models at the last Pie & Pint meeting !!
PieampPint30-9-121_zpsc0c4a31c.jpg

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thank you Brian,
Much as I love this Comet I'd swap it for the lesser model to its left - right of the picture!
Is that me standing behind it?

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Very nice but different than our road equipped version . I chose every bit tacked on for lightness , tiny head lamp on back , tank etc all very light . The resulting low weight kept it very competitive and in a different league to a regular Comet . Chasing our Vincati on back roads , it showing on the straights 125 , the 600 was right on its coat tails . Would eat Matt's Shadow . Very effective combination with a 42 inch long 2 inch UP PIPE . Send me your E address if wanting to see it . Sid .

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Thank you Brian,
Much as I love this Comet I'd swap it for the lesser model to its left - right of the picture!
Is that me standing behind it?

That's you. letting your hair down. You surely don't want that that old thing - although I'm sure someone spilt some oil underneath it just make me look bad !!

b'knighted

VOC Member
I've had it cut since then! Was my Comet leaking sideways?

Hi Sid,

It doesn't look very different, despite all the work that was done on it. The engine work, including maximum Nikasilled bore, special maximum throw crank was done by Bob Dunn as was the "pig ugly" electric start. The background of the Vincent badge on the timing chest is enamelled red, which I think Bob Dunn does to indicate excessive size. I think the clutch is a Conway Honda conversion. It has a 34mm Mikuni Carb and a Walkernator charging the biggest Odessey battery I could fit.
It has 'D' coil ignition, Thornton Suspension, smaller wheels with modern rubber, hydraulic steering damper, Scott chain oiler, Dave Hills centrestand, Videan? sidestand, Mac Read folding footrests, touring bars and a long soft club seat.
This all sounds as if I really knew what I was doing, but I bought it already done and fitted the footrest hangers, battery and crashbar.
There are a few extra things planned, and in hand, like touring guards and Jota adjustable handlebars carrying BMW R series controls with K series switchgear. It came with a Series D seatframe/carrier setup, which is QD and quickly makes it fully sprung with full luggage. The charging system and battery let me run heated everythings for more comfortable riding in inclement conditions but I'm still not taking it out again until the snow clears and we've had some heavy rain to clear some of the salt.