Irving Vincent Four Valve Engine

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Great stuff Bill ! What size Gardners ? Our 600 runs a 40 mm with its own float bowl , twin lever taps , twin feed to bowl .
Ported out to 44 mm by Steve Hamel , ex. port raised and widened . Twin plugged . 90 mm bore beneath an original head thus a compact chamber forming a narrow squish band all around . The custom racing piston is shaped to work with that band and the small chamber . Hamel shaped all to work together beautifully . And it ran strong right off the bat .
My ignition system was odds and ends , a Honda double ended coil , failed at Bonniville . Sid .

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi all, well just got back from the Phillip Island Classic which was an awsome weekend of racing.....And actually the first time i had seen the Irving Vincents racing in anger. These were both the sidecar outfit and the 1300 cc carb solo riden by Beau Beaton. The sound of their engines on full song down the mainstraights is amazing, when compared to the more contemporary high powered in line four Japanes machines. On the solo's you could see the Jap fours had more power, and pull away from the Vincent down the straights, but with the torque and skilled riding of Beau's he would catch and pass them in the corners. On the last race on Sunday he was coming second when he lost it on corner 11 and it was all over......extremely Impressive non the less. As for the outfit, well it just seemed to leave it's contemporary competition in It's wake from the start, but once again seemed to not have the top end power of the Fours down the straights, and came second on the Saturday, then on the first race on Sunday, i think on the third lap an incident stopped the race.....Later I discovered the Vincent outfit had blown an engine, leaving a trail of oil down the track..... I never saw it but was told that it had smashed a section out of the front of the cases where the oil filter chaimber normally is.....One can only imagin that it has tossed a rod and self destructed. This was a shame as i was hoping to see it perform again. The attention that the bikes and the Horner brothers team receive is unbelievable, and it is a huge credit to them. I think Phil Irving would have been extremely proud to see what they have done...It certainly made me feel proud. I heard one race fan say to his mate..."Gee I think that Black thing was a Vincent".....to which I looked at him smuggly and said "Hey buddy.....What Else".......Greg.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
In that peculiar Vintage class they race under the jap motors are allowed up to 1600 cc , these are 4 valve fours , DOHC four cy. motors . Very high revvers , great power as a result . Horner is limited to 1300 cc in his 2 valve motor , mechanically limited to
7000/ 7200 rpm . Both run methanol fuel . They produce more hp at their higher revs with greater valve area the key . He produces more torque off the turns , his advantage . A classic battle of engine types , twin V four . One for the books .
He must have over revved in the heat of battle , heavier rods said enough . Out of here .
My take on it anyway . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . I've asked Horner for the straight skinny on what went down , will pass it along .
Just got back from the deep injection in my hip joint , seems a little better , hoping for more improvement .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
In the above remarks on our 600 I was in error quoting the inlet port diameter , not 44mm , was 34 mm . My bad . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Sid, Have just found in one of my boxes a 34mm E.I. carb, from USA, Flat slide, I might put it on my road Comet, Had them on my Special for a short time about 1978 ish, Have you ever used them ? Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
+hells teeth Bill! are you joining me on the Track next year? if you are not then at 34mm its got to make a gold star seem like a trials bike....

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
No Tim, I am not ageing well, Its just a bit of fun, Anyway the bikes got a rear head on it, So by the time the mixture has found it's way to the valve it will be worn out !! Just like me !! Have Fun, Bill.