Irving Vincent Four Valve Engine

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Steve's bike has short open pipes, so it would sound good! How it would behave on a summer day waiting for a traffic light to change is not well known.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Hamels Vincent has undergone many port shape developments and has shown over 120 dyno bhp . His last Bonneville run was a tick below 160 mph . Tire slippage seems a limiting factor . This with original bore and stroke burning gas . Who has bettered this , std displacement on gas ? Anyone know ? Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Ken Horner was close friend with Irving who shared his ideas of how he would have developed the Vincent motor had they stayed in production with Phil doing the designing . Phil had already drawn up the 4 valve head much earlier , I have a drawing of it
myself . The main change Horner made was to add roller tips to the rocker arms . It's certainly acceptable as a true Vincent knowing Irving's
envolvement on a design and conceptual level .
Three capacities were made , 1,000 , 1300 and 1600 ccs . All were two valve as original , the 1,300 motor fitting the Aussie class
they raced in at home . They won hands down the Daytona BOT event with the Two valve 1,600 cc motor leading from the fall of the flag , finishing with a huge lead of 9 seconds . No one could touch them . Their huge torque takes no prisoners . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is a nice write up about the Horners and the Irving Vincent. Thanks to Mike A. in SoCal for the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Nice that the article gave mention to Terry Prince who provided the top ends for the first 1300 bike. I wonder how close they stayed to his CC and port design with the heads for their later 2 valve bikes, which were done in house?

Glen

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If you go into Touringcomet's link, Press on " image source " under the photos, It goes on forever !! about other bikes, And a good bit about Big Sids Doings, Many thanks, Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Just minutes ago I had a very pleasant phone call from Ken Horner , we spoke at length about the blown motor and fuels used in different events . This had been mentioned a few days ago among the group . Here's the lowdown .
When they won Daytona they were running gas . In Aussie events the sidecar racer burns methanol for the better cooling as its faired to a great extent . The solo machines run gas . That should answer those interested in such things .
Irving Vincent had won the Avon Trophy which late arriving but finally turned up , all too common with the mail these days . Sid .

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Sid , what did Ken say had happened to the engine in the outfit......any reasons for the failure..? Greg.