Irving Vincent Four Valve Engine

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Personally, I would be happy to think of these bikes as Vincents, updated of course, and a credit to their creators. One thing that intrigues me is the fact that some of the shots show what would seem to be a 'standard' Vincent oil pump. However, the machined from solid crank assemblies must be using bolted up big end assemblies, which I would have thought would have required pressurised plain bearings. All in all though the whole thing looks a treat.

jim burgess

VOC Member
It says "Irving Vincent" that's Vincent enough for me! I sure as hell wouldn't kick it out the garage! So that is Vincent with 50plus years of sporadic development. Brilliant!
Jim Burgess

Howard

VOC Member
"very similar" and "virtually" isn't the same as "made at the Vincent works" or "made as replacements for the original parts".

H

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . The valve train uses roller followers , a huge improvement over flat followers . Makes it all possible .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
More . There is a modern high flow pump outboard of the ign device , this feeds the insert type big end bearings in the car type Carrilo rods . PEI contributed much of the upgrade ideas before his passing . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
All these Irving Vincent motors will slot right into an original Vincent chassis enc. the 4 valve unit . Think your old Vincent is gower ? Fit one of these . The 2 valve motors are in 3 capacities , 1000 ,1300 , and 1600 . All fly . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Irving told Horner that these modern concepts would have the direction taken had Vincent continued to build the vee twins with PEI remaining the designer . Clearly a direct connection , new with the older design . Sid .

bmetcalf

VOC Member
With modern accurate CNC machining, I assume that gear primary drive doesn't require a drawerful of different size idlers for proper mesh. (Or articles in MPH on how to measure/specify them.)

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . When Irving himself built the initial prototype upper frame member he welded in the steering tube but the welding technique at that time caused distortion to creep in on cooling impossible to rectify . That's when he adopted the bolt up assembly employed on Bs and C s . Look closely at the Horner top member and you will see that the steering tube is now welded integral , modern welding allows it now .
The main chassis enc the rear swing arm follow closely the original , now mono shock , but all is crafted lighter in modern steels .
As the factory would have done . Up front a modern tele fork based upon Kaw . forks carry twin discs , while in the rear a single disc is used . All is done to lighten every piece , necessary to compete with modern machinery especially at the 180 plus mph the 1600 is capable of .
They have built a fabulous looking prototype street bike , elect start of course , but Ken feels it would be priced too high to sell on today's market . Even contemplated a SINGLE cylinder version ! Imagine a 90 horse Comet . Not impossible but illogical .

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
new crankcases, 5-speed boxes and multi-plate clutches certainly are made as replacements for original parts but they're not the same either !! it's a bit like the hammer I've for 50 years, it's just had 12 new handles and 14 new heads, but it's a genuine 1963 Stanley !!