Irving Vincent Four Valve Engine

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
new crankcases, 5-speed boxes and multi-plate clutches certainly are made as replacements for original parts but they're not the same either !! it's a bit like the hammer I've for 50 years, it's just had 12 new handles and 14 new heads, but it's a genuine 1963 Stanley !!

I haven't got any of those parts, but your hammer sounds like mine. :)

H

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
These motors have proven to be extremely reliable and long lived in spite of the power levels . Their top rider suffered a horrendous crash , the machine spinning wildly in the air before impacting with great violence on the track . They removed the powerunit and dusted it off , returned it to the dyno and took readings , no repairs done . It still produced near its original power output . We have CD discs of their races and also the frightful crash . You get goose bumps watching it .
Their sidecar racers leave the opposition behind like they are tied to stumps . They attach a rearwards pointing camera and watch the opposition fade away behind them . This with the 1300 two valve motor that the Australian rules permit , racing modern 4 cylinder machinery up to 1600 cc , OHCs four valve four cylinder Jap bikes from up into the mid 80s , and claiming up to 160 bhp , full trick cranks etc . A real tribute to the Ken Horner team , PEIs suggestions and our own Vincent and Irving creation .

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Keep up to date Brian, You have worked us a photo of a two valve head !! Just my bit of Fun !! Where do you get all your super photos from?, I would have thought they would have been secret, Cheers Bill.
4valvedyno2_zps504e4e6d.jpg

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
My bikes are original castings and cycle parts, that's the only 'genuine bits' !! If I blew the engine and crashed, I suppose I'd fit new crankcases and forks - then where would I be in the originality stakes ? Bound to get thrown out of the Concours ! ( but then my bikes would be anyway !! ):)

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
looks like a Vincent, sounds like a Vincent, interchangeable with original Vincent - my vote says it IS a Vincent !!
AustraliaTripwAdamOct2008IrvingVincentEngine6_zpsd7ea0122.jpg

AustraliaTripwAdamOct2008IrvingVincentEngine5_zps0d60a805.jpg

AustraliaTripwAdamOct2008IrvingVincentEngine3_zps783bf8a5.jpg

AustraliaTripwAdamOct2008IrvingVincentEngine2_zps5fc7ddbf.jpg

Howard

VOC Member
My bikes are original castings and cycle parts, that's the only 'genuine bits' !! If I blew the engine and crashed, I suppose I'd fit new crankcases and forks - then where would I be in the originality stakes ? Bound to get thrown out of the Concours ! ( but then my bikes would be anyway !! ):)

Hi Brian, I wasn't knocking the IV, just raising a coversation topic. I'm quite happy to accept it as a Vincent - I'm English, when Andy Murray wins he's British, when he loses he's Scottish, if you see what I mean. :)

H

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Fully agree with ABCD . They are aiming for a dry weight of 350 lbs , what an amazing feat , superb beauty with great reliability , huge power and all the speed one could dream of . And the weight of a stripped 500 Tiger Triumph racer .
What a dream that would be . Narrow , low and light with huge torque right up the range . Covers all bases .
With modern streamlining 200 mph is within reach , on a street ridden machine . But only a fool would hide that beautiful powerunit ! Maybe transparent fairings ? Sid .

b'knighted

VOC Member
They have built a fabulous looking prototype street bike , elect start of course , but Ken feels it would be priced too high to sell on today's market . Even contemplated a SINGLE cylinder version ! Imagine a 90 horse Comet . Not impossible but illogical .

Doesn't seem illogical to me.
I've ridden 95 BHP road bikes and couldn't see why anyone would want more on the road. I've lived with a twin for years finding it better on the road than my old Comet. Then I got an electric start 636cc Comet which goes as well as the twin while handling and stopping better.
If the Meteor is half a Rapide, the Comet is half a Shadow and the Flash is half a Lightning this bored and stroked Comet must be half a Black Widow.
I'd imagine that it would be even better as a 90BHP half of an Irving Vincent.

Last edited by a moderator: