Irving Vincent Four Valve Engine

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sid here . The first 4 valve heads caused problems at sustained high output , exhaust seats settled , alloy between then got soft
, near molten . Currently the seats are integral in a bronze skull , this cast into the cylinder heads . I asked Ken a week ago about this , was it proving durable and he answered in the affirmative . Seems solid now .
The 1600 cc motor at 184 bhp now . 142 ft lbs torque . Said its nearing max development , but he still has a few little tricks left might add a bit more to that .
Marvelous fellow Ken Horner , never brags but a real wizard . Calls me to chat and has even visited our home and shop .

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Irving Vincent four valve head photos:

12512923876560.jpg

12512924990250.jpg

12512925723620.jpg

David

Hi Guys, that looks like a lot of mass/spring pressure for a pushrod, cam follower and cam to handle???

Kevin

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Don't think there's original Vincent cams and followers inside !! Also, rockers might be titanium ?
IrvingVincentjewelry_zpsd371c5a9.jpg

Howard

VOC Member
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. When is a Vincent not a Vincent?

Not knocking the engineering, commitment etc, etc it's a great job, but is it a Vincent?

H

Howard

VOC Member
Is an Egli?

That's partly why I asked? In the 70s there was a lot of dyed in the wool Vincent people who wouldn't accept Eglis as Vincents, but the Irving Vincent has even less (if any) Vincent components.

H

Last edited:

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Considering that there's a lot of 'standard' Vincents running around with multi-plate clutches, Alton generators, disc / 8" brakes, 5-speed gearboxes, squish-band pistons, sealed valve guides etc etc, and given that the Irving Vincent engine would fit straight into Series C cycle parts, and it has a UFM and Vincent rear end, I say it's more of a Vincent than any Egli !!

Howard

VOC Member
Considering that there's a lot of 'standard' Vincents running around with multi-plate clutches, Alton generators, disc / 8" brakes, 5-speed gearboxes, squish-band pistons, sealed valve guides etc etc, and given that the Irving Vincent engine would fit straight into Series C cycle parts, and it has a UFM and Vincent rear end, I say it's more of a Vincent than any Egli !!

The Irving Vincent uses a Vincent UFM, RFM and rear suspension ??

H

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
very similar - see David's earlier post with picture of UFM. Rear frame is virtually Series D
IrvingVincent1300cccycleparts_zpsdd9eeb70.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Keep up to date Brian, You have worked us a photo of a two valve head !! Just my bit of Fun !! Where do you get all your super photos from?, I would have thought they would have been secret, Cheers Bill.