Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'll try again with the link to the Works prototype Vindian
Vindianoriginalworksprototype_zps194433cb.jpg

Last edited:

b'knighted

VOC Member
The dynamometer picture - Factory 4 - shows an unusual UFM. It appears to have a welded in head bearing tube and a round top. Was this the failed prototype mentioned by Big Sid in posting 29 of the Irving Vincent thread?

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howd Chaps,

On the WPV, that is a standard Autolite generator - which in 1948 had the physically larger 2 charge mechanical regulator fitted - driven as it should be, clockwise when facing the drive side end. No room under the top frame tube so the regulator is mounted to the top of the rear fender.

On the other hand, the subsequently pictured VI combines a few different elements, front fender light last used in 1946 (probably looked more appropriated/subdued as the 47 and later was the Indian faced one), the 48 and later horn and the standard tailight dating back to about 1936 as well as the Deitz sealed beam headlight (same bulb as fitted to U.S. destined Vin's) reintroduced after a haitus since 42 in 1948. All these are plug and play items and though it's easy to reverse generator rotation the length of an Autolite fitted in this position with no portrusion beyond the face of the generator cover would run afoul of the intake manifold/carb on its drive side.

Interesting.

craig

VOC Member
Sid here . After PCVs passing an exposed roll of film was found among his effects . This roll was of early assembly line scenes he had personally taken . It was still in perfect condition and Robin Vincent Day is to be credited for their discovery and making them available . Many have been reproduced over the ensuing years .
I made a swap with Robin and he printed us a dozen or more right off the original negatives , sparkling fresh prints of great beauty . We had planned to use them in a new manuscript of of mine of very many hints and tips to be titled , " Tips From the Tool Tray " . The thing is done but was never put into publication . Those photos were to add a certain bit of class to this high quality loose leaf ringed book , on high quality paper meant for removing the needed sheet to take to your work shop and work from .
Such is life's ever " best laid plans - , ". The years pass by like dry sand through ones fingers . Maybe yet , Matt has mentioned it
recently .
Thanks Sid, for your post. Do your photos contain any pictures of Vincents beyond what is published (19 photos) at strokeman0.tripod?
Cheers
Craig

A

alan wright

Bonjour mes amis. As I'm the proud owner of a couple of early B Rapides, numbers 112 and 849 I've spotted a few differences between them, some of which are well documented, others less so, here goes;-
Rear stand "scalloped out" at pivot point, rear chain adjusters hollow inside knurled "knob", rear lamp has Miller "lighthouse" badge, carbs are both rear with short arm float chambers, Miller 3 1/2 inch dynamo, gear change lever is linkage type, "Dog leg kickstart crank, tool tray has TWO handles see (MO33), rear chainguard is 1/4 inch wider, screw on plug caps, petrol taps wider on knurled knob, round clutch cover and screw type cable connectors PR38 (has anybody got some to sell???)
I hope at least some of this is correct, best regards, Alan

craig

VOC Member
Thanks for reply Alan, All of the items you listed are on F10AB/1/112? If you get a chance can you email me photos of these items? Find me at 47Rapide at www.thevincent.com
Cheers
Craig

Bonjour mes amis. As I'm the proud owner of a couple of early B Rapides, numbers 112 and 849 I've spotted a few differences between them, some of which are well documented, others less so, here goes;-
Rear stand "scalloped out" at pivot point, rear chain adjusters hollow inside knurled "knob", rear lamp has Miller "lighthouse" badge, carbs are both rear with short arm float chambers, Miller 3 1/2 inch dynamo, gear change lever is linkage type, "Dog leg kickstart crank, tool tray has TWO handles see (MO33), rear chainguard is 1/4 inch wider, screw on plug caps, petrol taps wider on knurled knob, round clutch cover and screw type cable connectors PR38 (has anybody got some to sell???)
I hope at least some of this is correct, best regards, Alan

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Describes many features on my own B Rapide number 275 . Amal took a while coming out with the handed carb bodies and the longer arm bowls . Their production up to the introduction of the Vincent twins went to supplying the production needs of single cylinder machines all of which carried their carbs on the right side as far as I can recall .
We worked on a few of these early B s with the initial arrangement and it made adjustment much more difficult for the front cylinder carb . Near impossible to reach the adj. screws . Sid .

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
screw type cable connectors PR38 (has anybody got some to sell???)

My father happened to order 4 back in the day, I have no idea why. The rubber insulators have been rock hard for years. Very sorry, but they are not for sale.

PR38.JPG