Clutch issue

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Kurt, After oil has got to the clutch, It will need cleaning off, You can't just leave it, Even after cleaning it off the surface, When it gets hot it will come back to the surface again, A bit. Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A few points to note:

• The primary clutch can usually transmit the power needed to get you up to 50 - 60 mph. (Last year I managed to ride 100 miles home from Wales after the main clutch suffered slip due to a leaky oil seal.)
  • If the primary clutch slips the main clutch will not come in to play.
  • The primary clutch is so light that if you have marginal play at the push rod you are likely to get slip.
  • You can check that there is some free movement on the G91 lever with the ET24/1 inspection cap removed from the gear cover.
  • If clearances are OK then it may be time to look inside and see if the main clutch shoe linings are oily or worn.
  • If someone has maladjusted the return plungers in the shoes you can also get slip.

OK all you Vincent gurus, I went for a 40 mile ride tonight and no oil leaks to speak of. Bike ran fine, but the clutch did start slipping when I tried to go over 60 mph. Before I went out I did adjust the clutch cable per the operators hand book part one. ie when you pull the lever all the way to the grip the arm in the kick start cover meets it's limit against the post. Still slips . No oil in the clutch housings. Not sure what to do next? Should I just pull the clutch out and inspect it? When you pull the lever all the way to the grip the outer clutch plate only moves at best 1/8 inch or less. I put her in forth gear and pulled the clutch lever and the rear wheel rotates freely. Do I need to send this clutch to someone to rebuild? Or ??? ps. I can see that the screws are a little buggered so I'm thinking this clutch has been off in the past.
View attachment 1989

Ducdude

VOC Member
Hello Kurt, After oil has got to the clutch, It will need cleaning off, You can't just leave it, Even after cleaning it off the surface, When it gets hot it will come back to the surface again, A bit. Cheers Bill.

Lots of good data here in the end if the clutch was oiled it all has to be cleaned and you can do that your self... If desired you may have to replace the clutch linings and that is a job for a some one better skilled then I. I managed to bring my oiled linings back from an oily grave buy soaking them in clean heavy duty degreaser for a few days, let dry and then I boiled then in clean water and dawn dish washing soap over the course of a few days skimming the crud off the top as it formed... So far that has worked to 110mph but if I had it to do again I would have just bonded new linings on.. Clean the inside of the clutch drum as well and make sure there is no glazing...Hope you are having fun.....I loved this part...:) Ciao,Eric

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
Ok Ii got the outer portion of the clutch removed and it looks a little oily but no liquid oil running around. But all the parts look and feel slippery . On the C24 clutch plate, the pads look shiny .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It's the shoes that do the big part, If you are gentle you can creep up to 50mph ish on the outer plate, But thats all, Cheers Bill.

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
Here is what I have. What is the best way to clean everything?

Image 1.jpgImage 2.jpgImage 3.jpgImage 4.jpg

b'knighted

VOC Member
While you have the shoes out check around the plungers at 6 o'clock and 2-3 o'clock on your picture three. When my clutch suffered a similar problem it was down to a hairline crack around one of the plungers preventing it from operating cleanly.

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
Dang it. That was work. Finally got the Chain case cover off and the clutch basket out. Looked pretty good inside. I'm boiling the clutch pads as we speak, and cleaning everything else. I had to use liquid wrench , a heat gun, and a compression screwdriver to get the six screws holding the basket. What a blast. If I knew that working on bikes was this much fun, I would have started years ago. My wife does not like the dirty fingernails =(
Image 5.jpg

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I glued a sheet of wet/dry sandpaper onto a sheet of glass and checked my metal clutch plates for flatness, sanding the faces in a figure 8 pattern..brake cleaner is your friend, or carbon tetrachloride, anything that doesnt leave a residue.