Clutch issue

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Comet is currently drained while I change some of its modifications including fitting an external remote oil filter and if I remember correctly the oil I've bought to put in is 0 or 5- 40 synthetic. Previously I've always used Castrol GTX.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I remember P.E.I. saying "much more damage is done by heavy oil not getting where it is needed than by light oil failing." I don't know how cold it is where you are, but heavy oil adheres to inner walls of thin pipes and tubes posing a risk of coronary infarction or at least Bell's Palsy to your machine.

Ducdude

VOC Member
5 UK pints is 0.75 of a US gallon..I am a big fan of Rotella T 15w-40 http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/tpl-pro.html it is a oil used mostly in trucks but has a very good chemical package that helps keep the parts slipping where they should be slipping and it lifts and holds a good bit of contaminates so they can be removed with the old oil.. The rotellla is affordable and easy to come by in the US.. As this is your first change it could not hurt to do the oil and filter and run her 100 miles and do it all again..This way you get the old used unknown oil out and flush the motor with fresh clean stuff and then dump that carrying away any remaining crud...Just a though...She is an old girl she deserves it... As far as what the best oil is ..Well new oil is better then old oil and some oil is better then no oil..:) The 15-40 oil seems to also leak slowly so that is good.... on another note If you ran the flooded battery almost dry you may also want to look for a replacement as once the cells are uncovered material can flake off settle to the bottom and short out the cells killing the battery...As your bike as a coil it must have a good battery to run...If you had a magneto this would not be an issue..:) You also may want to check what level Voltage your battery is being charged to...13-14Vdc should be fine for a 12V system if it is much more then that you may be boiling the electrolyte away cooking the batt...If that is the case your regulator may be due for a look see.. I had my Shadow out today for a 100 mile romp in the 90 F (32C) weather...What a joy..90mph on the motor way 50-60mph in the twistys and not a single issue..:) It took a while but you are closer then I was at my start... Keep up the good work!! Cheers, Eric

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
Texas. It was 102 here today and 105 yesterday. Thin oil leaks out more easily than the heavy stuff, but if you change oil every 2000 miles I doubt it matters much. I use 25/65 by Phillips in my old airplane and I thought about using that,. It's a big 800 HP radial, but it is a little pricey. I think all the current oils are pretty darn good . Do you think that the heavy oils can add a little cushioning along with there slippery side?
No leaks so far=)

Ducdude

VOC Member
Texas. It was 102 here today and 105 yesterday. Thin oil leaks out more easily than the heavy stuff, but if you change oil every 2000 miles I doubt it matters much. I use 25/65 by Phillips in my old airplane and I thought about using that,. It's a big 800 HP radial, but it is a little pricey. I think all the current oils are pretty darn good . Do you think that the heavy oils can add a little cushioning along with there slippery side?
No leaks so far=)
NO LEAKES! Either it is out of oil or it is not a Vincent:) They all leak oil....Just some more then others.. If yours is still holding dry then congrats.. There are many small passageways in your bike I would think 20/50 or thinner would be fine even in TX heat, (this coming from a former Austin TX resident- Go Long Horns) That's why I like the 15/40 weight...The oil pump really is not a high pressure affair and anything we can do to keep the cooling and lubricating oil moving should be encouraged.. My thoughts are thick oil would not help here...I do use a thicker GL-4 gear oil in the transmission though not that thick..OK I have to ask what kind of Airplane do you have....:) Cheers, Eric

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
T28 t33 mu2
560702.jpgPhoto Apr 18, 9 30 14 AM.jpg

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
I like your idea of 100 miles and another oil change. She does deserve that . I have a 6 volt system and I checked the charge rate today and it was 8.25. I hope I did not destroy my battery since it is only a year old but never fear. I will replace it with a 6 vt sealed unit in an old/new style battery box. I just put one in my BSA and it worked fine. I did notice the other day that at 65 mph with the wind hitting you in the chest and helmet it kind of makes you feel like if you let go of the bars you might get blown off. I forgot about that. The first time I felt that was with my son at a beginners course for racing. It was here in Texas and it was Jeff Nash's school. (he is fast) Perhaps I need a wind screen? Do they make a nice one for our Vinnie? Clutch is next.

Last edited:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Well I did ride the bike and got stranded five miles from home. Had to call a buddy with a truck to come fetch me home. Bike did find for five minutes and then when going up a hill it started to bog down and finally quit at the top. After looking over all the wiring and checking the plugs it started up and ran for 30 seconds. If I let it set for five minutes it would run for about a minute. Had fuel flowing from both carbs . Got it home and called Tom and we both thought it sounded like a spark issue. Couldn't sleep so at 11pm I went out in the garage and looked at the wires again. Thought it would be easier if I took the battery out so I did that, and since I had the battery out I might just as well give her a charge. So I tilted the battery a little to see where the fluid level was and low and behold there was almost no juice in her. You guessed it no spark under a load or at least not for long. Charged her up over night and took her for a 15 mile ride this morning and all was well. Idle was normal. The new springs must have worked. So while I had her hot I decided to change the oil. I think I have everything drained pretty well, and my big brass oil filter nut came right off. I soaked the new filter in oil and tightened everything back up. Now I just need to add the new oil. I was going to use a 50 SAE straight weight. I don't want to overfill it. I think the book mentions 6 pints, but should I start with 5 pints and run it a little first and then just add more if the level is ok? Next adventure will be the clutch!

When you refill the oil tank all you need do is ensure that the oil level JUST covers the inbuilt marker! Peer down into the tank (thru the filler neck) and you will see a cross brace inside it. Your oil level is OK if the oil level covers the brace. Check it after the motor has been running for a few minutes to ensure you are seeing the operating level. Pretty simple.

As to oil grade I use a 10-40 non synthetic and change it (and my paper element oil filter from Neil Videan) every 1000 miles. May seem excessive to some but the old girl deserves only the best of pampering.

Martyn