Bonneville

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The records list was posted on the Official's building. I took this shot of the list that included the Vincent records. They are AMA records and the class Sid Ran in was open and the class Kurt ran in was set by him last year (it may have been open last year) and increased this year. Kurt ran gasoline last year but I think he ran in the fuel class so he would not compete against Marty's record. It is good to have a lot of Vincents in the record book, it is a great marque.

Kurt ran twice today, Matt Biberman once and Max once, but the speeds were not there for return runs. The winds were quite high.

043.jpg

nobby

VOC Member
Nobby good road surface 130 MPH,, = 110MPH on the salt ask the experts?.
I ride motorcycles since 1967 (12 years old, bike was confiscated by some uniforms, had another 250 the next day), have done some years in motorcycle cross and road racing on two and three wheels, but I do not know a thing about salt flats, even do not know much about sprinting and speed records, would love to learn though.
But does this mean the 145.8 with Kurts' Lightning could be 172 on tarmac? 275+ km? The fastest 1000 cc Vincent on the road I ever saw was once at Assen, it was clocked with a highest speed of 142 mph... It was an early Egli with a Rapide engine.

PS
Probably have seen faster Vincents, but this one had an offical time...

Last edited:

Comet

VOC Member
Hi Nobby. I am certainly not an expert but I guess if the run length was suitably long then yes, at lower altitude the speeds could be more. The "short" course at bonneville is about 7 miles long I think. The international course is 10 miles long. The course is roughly 80 feet wide.
It amazed me when Dawn and I were marshalling there a couple of years ago how quickly the bikes come through each mile sector.
Well done to everyone this year. Some great speeds were measured.
John

Flylow

VOC Member
145.804 mph

Hello all, and thank you for your comments:

Here are a few notes regarding our Bonneville Lightning project:
  • First of all, we are not trying to see how fast a Vincent can be. However, we are doing our best to re-create what could be done in 1950. This is to honor the creators, and enjoy what a great machine the Vincent was at the time - and still is.
  • My Lightning is F10AB/1C/3642. One of two originally shipped to Denmark (where I am also from). It was built for sidecar racing. I have had it since 1984.
  • According to the factory build sheet, it was supplied with 13.5:1 compression for 10/10/80% Methanol, 32 mm Amal 10TT9 carburettors, 2" low level straight pipes, mk2 cams, rearward foot controls, dual racing seat and more. Note: According to the build sheet George Brown was the test rider. State of weather (during test): Good
  • Again, our goal was to ride it as close to factory specs as we possibly could, and that is what we just did. Down to the 13.5:1 Specialoid pistons, 32 mm 10TT9 carburetors, KVFTT magneto (magnesium housing), and all. It is quite challenging to make 61 year old parts function well but that is also part of the excitement.
  • We are running in the AMA 1000 M-VF class: 1000 cc, Modified (for race bikes etc.), Vintage (pre. 1956,) Fuel (Methanol or other) - i.e. a perfect match for this particular bike.
  • We first ran it in 2007 with a max speed of 116 mph. Then again in 2010 with a max two way average of 132.004 mph. This year we reached a two way average of 145.804 mph, a new AMA record in 1000 M-VF class!
  • Bonneville Salt Flats: Elevation is 4,218 ft / 1,285 meters. Temperatures mid day often around 95F / 35C. Relative Humidity 20 to 40, surface is wet salt. So Bill, too bad you are not racing any more, cause I would love to see you on the salt and show us what your 141 mph road bike can do. As you say, you would have the advantage of less wind resistance due to low air density ....?! This is not to disrespect what you or any other rider have accomplished in the past.
Ranting aside, the bike ran very strong even if we had a few issues. It is clear to us that there is more power to dig out, we simply need to work harder at it.

It is quite addictive to blast down Bonneville Salt Flats, enjoy the tall gearing, and a seemingly never ending amount power from a Vincent - a dream come true!

Best regards to all
Kurt
Vincent Viking Team
VOC member

Albervin

VOC Member
I seem to remember ( a diminishing factor with me) that added water can compensate for loss of atmospheric Oxygen. I actually do remember "water injection" units for 1970s BMW cars and bikes as well as the Datsun 240Z (lovingly remembered a the 24 ounce) here in Australia.