Bonneville

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I did not see Max run, so Steve can best answer how he did. Renwick ran 188 mph, but no return run. Aaron Frank did 110 on Sid's 600cc single, but no return run.

High winds are predicted for tomorrow, so most competitors have already departed. Kurt Carlson and Paul Jenson did a remarkable job. Renwick has shown there is much more in that machine. Big Sid did well getting some good speeds and a record on his first visit. Terry Prince just sent me a note asking me to congratulate the record holders as he knows how difficult it is to get one.

David
What record is Sid supposed to have taken. On the twin is the class MPS VG-1000.
If you go to the record link on page 2 , scroll down to the 1000 list, and you will find the current record is 126MPH by an Indian. We are told Sid`s speed is 109.097. See
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9954.0;attach=28601;image

So I`m puzzled.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The 126 speed is an SCTA record, while the 109 is a pending AMA record set in an open class, there was no existing speed to beat. BUB/AMA records are separate.

ET43

Non-VOC Member
The pictures posted from Nobby of the Lightning show that the machine has both series C and two series D breathers, although the D ones are in the wrong position. If what Mr. Irving says is true, then the air in the crank case must be getting it's knickers in a twist. In my humble opinion one great big bore pipe with a one way valve on the end is the way to go, or has that machine something different in it. Unless they have been doctored, the actual capacity of a standard breather pipe is 1/4 inch through the banjo bolts, and even trebling them up is clutching at straws. What do you say Chankly Bore? The machine looks stunning, but to my mind is spoiled by an 'appeth worth of tar. Respectfully, ET43

nobby

VOC Member
The 126 speed is an SCTA record, while the 109 is a pending AMA record set in an open class, there was no existing speed to beat. BUB/AMA records are separate.

Is there a pending record for a 600 cc with a driver over 100 kg? Then I might go there next year to get into the books too...
Already have the record 'slowest postwar Vincent ever participated in a parade' according to the Bananaman, but that was on three wheels with an engine maintained by a self-declared professional.
Nowadays I do the work myself, and it goes like stink (well, at Mallory it did), so I keep more money in the pocket (actually in the local pub), hence the 100+ weight!

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The pictures posted from Nobby of the Lightning show that the machine has both series C and two series D breathers, although the D ones are in the wrong position.

I'll check with Kurt, but I bet the standard C style breather is not currently a timed breather.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
there was no existing speed to beat.

I got a record like that at Wafer Tek in Camas, Washington about 15 years ago. Got my R100S up to about 80mph just before they built the Guard House and Gate on the Exit Road from the still under construction plant. Probably stand forever as you can't do that anymore.:rolleyes: