Bonneville

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
We were on our way to the start line and very high winds came, courses are closed for the day. Our only hope is for calm wind in the morning but the weather forecast is not good.

davidd

VOC Member
I did not see Max run, so Steve can best answer how he did. Renwick ran 188 mph, but no return run. Aaron Frank did 110 on Sid's 600cc single, but no return run.

High winds are predicted for tomorrow, so most competitors have already departed. Kurt Carlson and Paul Jenson did a remarkable job. Renwick has shown there is much more in that machine. Big Sid did well getting some good speeds and a record on his first visit. Terry Prince just sent me a note asking me to congratulate the record holders as he knows how difficult it is to get one.

David

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Just the 152 run early today. We have fixed a broken chain tensioner and are hoping for calm wind in the morning.

nobby

VOC Member
Renwick ran 188 mph, but no return run. Aaron Frank did 110 on Sid's 600cc single, but no return run.David

Good job, John! And that without Ernie as the monkey...
110 for Sid's 600? My 600 goes 110+ on the road, so what went wrong?

Comet

VOC Member
it's the altitude Nobby, 5000ft is a long way up and the air is much thinner which obviously affects the motors breathing. You can't set up your carbs at sea level for use at Bonneville. This altitude has an overall effect on the speeds that are possible.

So when are we going to have BUB as a rally ???
:)
John

nobby

VOC Member
BUB as a rally? And after that the Barber Festival? With a Vincents only track session? I start saving right now!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The North American Rally was at Bonneville, maybe in the '90's. I didn't go, so I don't remember what year.

it's the altitude Nobby, 5000ft is a long way up and the air is much thinner which obviously affects the motors breathing. You can't set up your carbs at sea level for use at Bonneville. This altitude has an overall effect on the speeds that are possible.

So when are we going to have BUB as a rally ???
:)
John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If the air is thinner there must be less resistance = Go Faster ?? I won the 1/4 mile knock out from a Kawa' 900 on the old Swansea Road in Wales, That was a bit high up !! And if you didn't stop quick you went over the Cliff, As one of the riders did !! Cheers Bill.