Works Photo

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
David Bowen has been discussing the longevity of some members of the old Vincent crew. He remembers that the Factory used this stuff in the bikes, including the wildly successful Tony Rose machine that did the 100,000 mile road test:
001 (2).jpg

David thinks that maybe a few dollops of Filtrate ended up in the tea that he, Jack Lazenby (97) and Jack Furness used to drink at the works!

By the way, David also mention that Ted Hampshire went to work for Filtrate after 24 years at Vincent.

David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Hi David, my father was Daniel Morgan Thomas a road tester at Vincents.
I have in my posession a pair of clocks with the initials DB inscribed on the speedo.
Im guessing these once belonged to his apprentice?
The hard way 1950 your father and I took his Vincent to Pendine on a sidecar chassis attached to a 1932 BSA sloper he two wins that weekend, we stopped that week end in a shop in a small Welsh village owned by Dannys Family?

davidd

VOC Member
From David Bowen: Do you know this man?

Geoff Manning.JPG

It is Geoff Manning who rode in the 1949 Clubman TT and he also rode one of the Flashes that was painted black after the 1950 TT.

David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Geoff was a of the managers at Vincents he was also the guy in charge of the 1952 Montlhery record attempt But he never arrived there he was riding a works Rapide MNK14 to be used as a practice bike but just north of Paris had a crash and landed up in hospital for a few weeks.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Just been told Geoff Manning Vincent service manager, and Dennis Mainwaring Vincent sales manager, Migrated to Rhodesia in 1957 and did not have any contact with Vincent's after that.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Would not know, D Mainwaring was working, for the MOD on the marine engine project at Vincent's when that ended we ended up with him