Works Photo

aldeburgh

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The Vauxhall factory had its own "Home Guard" unit under the command of Major J.H.Brett during the 1939-1945 war , as was common back then the regular Army were pitched against the Home Guard in mock "attacks" as a training exercise. An exercise was arranged for an attacking force of "regulars" to take the factory , the Home Guard greeted them at the factory gate with a Churchill tank , the Commander of the "regulars" was most put out as it was not considered fair for the amateur Home Guard to defeat a fully armed professional unit:eek:, the referees declared the exercise a draw :D

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
JRO102 was not badly burnt only around the front Carb Area , It was put up for sale , Ted Hampshire (assembly Manager) bought it did total rebuild and used it for his own transport for many years. some years later, Bob Culver had a lucky day looking around a London Motor cycle dealers used stock he spotted JRO 102 and he bought it and still has it.

alan wright

VOC Member
The Andrews sisters! the "Boogie woogie Bugle Boy" etc etc, Vincents were lucky it could have been Archie Andrews I always hated that dummy. wonder if that show is in the BBC Radio Archives....
For the benefit of our foreign and younger readers, Vibrac is referring to a dummy which was "worked" by the ventriloquist Peter Brough on the RADIO programme "Educating Archie" so think about it............a ventriloquist on the radio !!!??? Only in England !!

alan wright

VOC Member
Yes each tester had a set of exhaust pipes and speedo plus trade plate, and any small faults found during testing they did even down to nipped up pistons. they all had worked on assembly before getting the job.
Hi David, a very interesting thread. I had many chats with the late Norman Peach who tested my B Rapide ( Peron's Revenge) in June 48 and he told me several stories as he remembered them. He reckoned that each tester also had a fuel tank and charged battery as some dealers would'nt accept machines with acid in the batteries or fuel in the tanks. ( He reckoned Jack Surtees was the hardest to please !!)
He also reckoned HIS route was up the old Great North Road, 50 mile for Comets and 100 for twins.
I asked him where the worst i.e noisiest bikes went and quick as a flash he replied ....Argentina !!!! I'll never know if he just said that to wind me up as he was about to test my bike again, around 1994 for a classic bike magazine. Afterwards he filled in one of his last factory test cards and gave it to me. A treasured possession and treasured memories although all these chats took place in pubs so any discrepancies are down to me !!

clevtrev

VOC Member
For the benefit of our foreign and younger readers, Vibrac is referring to a dummy which was "worked" by the ventriloquist Peter Brough on the RADIO programme "Educating Archie" so think about it............a ventriloquist on the radio !!!??? Only in England !!
I did see them on stage once. They used to tour the Variety Halls .

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
every bike was tested 50 miles, every 10th was extended test 150 miles this bike was given to another tester, major repair went back to engine assembly porous crankcases very rare another engine fitted from assembly. this is where the 1900 number sequence is messed up, Thanks to David Dunfey for cleaning up and putting the pics on for me.

A slightly different version is given by an actual tester in this video:

"For best results, 'right click' or 'cntrl-click' the link below and choose the option to save the video as a file on your local PC.
Then open the file in your video player, like QuickTime or Windows Media Player."

http://www.vincentstreamliner.com/movies/VinVideo.html

Unfortunately I now find it hard to get this video to play smoothly.
Others may have more luck.
Or perhaps the web site has been messed up?
There does not appear to be named web site administrator.

davidd

VOC Member
From David Bowen:

David Bowen Factory Workers 01.JPG

David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
back row L/R Norman Peach Stan Duddington Ted Davis next row Allan Rennie David Bowen Bob Clements (Vincent 1932 1958 if you have a series A Bob would have worked on it) Guy at front I do not know think he worked there in Harpers Time