Works Photo

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Classic biker well Done perhaps Ian Savage should buy the lot as it is very hard for overseas members to get 6 pound cash to them

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
It's me page 5 ( Bill Todd did work at Vincents for a short time was a very bright lad and was snapped up by De Havilland's so this is a typo) that's me 15 years of age building what might be your engine my leader opposite Stan Duddington. Stan left some months later and went to BRM's, did not like it there and when George Brown left Vincents he employed Stan. Stan's uncle was the driver of the Mallard when it broke the world speed record, 1938? just 8 Miles north of Vincents, the Arlesley straight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Len Matthews

VOC Member
It,s me page 5 ( Bill Todd did work at Vincents for a short time was a very bright lad and was snapped up by De ,Havilland's so this is a typo) that's me 15 years of age building what might be your engine my leader opposite Stan Duddington Stan left some months latter and went to BRM,s did not like it there and when George Brown left, Vincents he employed Stan. Stan's Uncle was the driver of the flying Scotsman when it broke the world speed record 1938? Just 8 Miles north of Vincents The Arlesley straight.
Flying Scotsman? Mallard surely?

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I'm not a train anorak, but I think the Mallard pulled the Flying Scotsman "train". The Flying Scotsman "engine" pulled the first Flying Scotsman train giving it's name to the route/service.

H
Confusion often arises between the locomotive "Flying Scotsman "and the title of the Kings Cross -Edinburgh service which dates from way before the loco was built. It could well be that Mallard was rostered to haul that express at some stage.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I'm not a train anorak, but I think the Mallard pulled the Flying Scotsman "train". The Flying Scotsman "engine" pulled the first Flying Scotsman train giving it's name to the route/service.
H
I'm not a train anorak either and I think Howard is correct in that the "Flying Scotsman" was both an individual locomotive and also the name of the service. I don't think "Mallard" was linked to this service when it started as it was not built until the late 30's.
Let us keep this thread on the rails and get back to "Works Photo."

b'knighted

VOC Member
I'm not a train anorak either and I think Howard is correct in that the "Flying Scotsman" was both an individual locomotive and also the name of the service. I don't think "Mallard" was linked to this service when it started as it was not built until the late 30's.
Let us keep this thread on the rails and get back to "Works Photo."
Thanks Ed,
Perhaps we all need better training.