Works Photo

peterg

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Howdy chaps,

Excellent and priceless commentary David. Seeing your observations on the military tank connection adds to my continued curiosity on this badge affixed to the front fender of my unrestored England-import 50 Shadow seemingly from new or shortly thereafter. It carries the legend Fear Naught and this machines plate is LND 940.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 54

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
I did National Service the first 12 weeks at Catterick with the Royal Tank Corps our training staff were 17/21 Lancers and we were trained on Comet Tanks .Thanks Trev. and in my intake was Montgomerys son. our section Officer he had a Cooper Manx I know little about Manx Nortons but this little Car got me out of some very nasty jobs

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
At factory's the guys always played tricks on young staff, at vincents small stuff we use to go down the High street in Stevenage and buy from Lines the hardware shop, the long weight I was aware of, remember this was 1948 I was sent down there to get a soft hammer Hi Hi when I asked Mr Lines for one he said the laugh is on your mates because we have just received a few never seen before Rubber hammers so I had the Laugh, I keep being asked about metal stamps well we bought them from the same shop all ex MOD size what they had and if you look at some of the factory stampings you will see.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Comet Tank Made by Leyland from 1944, Rolls Royce V12 Meteor same as a Spitfire with supercharger taken of, 600HP ,MPG.5, Max speed 32MPH, 32Ton, 77mm Main gun, Merritt &Brown Epicyclical Gear Box, Steered by its Tracks by two large brake Drums, now De Havilland's Had Comets & Meteors tanks Comets & Meteor engine so there you go .

vibrac

VOC Member
At factory's the guys always played tricks on young staff, at vincents small stuff we use to go down the High street in Stevenage and buy from Lines the hardware shop, the long weight I was aware of, remember this was 1948 I was sent down there to get a soft hammer Hi Hi when I asked Mr Lines for one he said the laugh is on your mates because we have just received a few never seen before Rubber hammers so I had the Laugh, I keep being asked about metal stamps well we bought them from the same shop all ex MOD size what they had and if you look at some of the factory stampings you will see.
Had the same when I was an apprentice sent for a drill for square holes the storeman had one!