V3 clutch drag

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you grind off the surplus material at the nipple location, you will gain a bit more.

Thanks Trev, I'll check and correct for most travel when I get it the cover off and fit it. Interesting the difference in the nipple end with the original type bent back a bit compared to the new one.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
If you can do that and still reach the lever, you have Norton bars on your bike.

Good point Trev
On my bike the bar bends in a knuckle about 1 1/2 inches from the left hand bar clamp on the Bramptons. going close to this would put the lever too far from the end of the bar and my hand.
Greg, I have 1 1/8th pivots and a thin Amal grip rubber but I can see that the travel of G91/1 is limited by the kickstart cover on slack wire and the abutment on tight wire and the travel that is allowed between those limits. The key is getting it all, and beyond that nothing can be done. Taking the flex out of G91/1 , and the the compression out of the clutch cable will help with the limited adjustment available..
I am afraid I have been away from home quite a bit since my last post and still have not changed out the G91/1 that I show in post #10. I will check for clearance and remove material judiciously from the lever and the clutch cover so as not to make anything more bendy. This new lever is really quite a bit more stout both in depth and width of section and the tip is 1/8" longer at the rod end, so that will give a slightly longer push of the rod in the clutch shaft when used with the new style internal head adjuster. That and filing the plates a bit will be the last things I get done this year, no doubt, since we may get some (hopefully temporary but prophetic) snow this weekend. The other thing I will be doing over winter storage is getting a new linear wound clutch cable as DavidD suggested to me. I will be doing these one at a time and using the dial indicator to see what difference each new thing makes.

thanks all,

Ron

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Get Bowden levers, the post is canted at a wider angle, so there is more sweep before the lever meets the bar.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Ron, I have made my own Multi's in the past, Not perfect, Because the setup was not made for them, But a few things you could try, I have used a Valve lifter ferule instead of the long standard one, So if you have the means to pull more , You can, The other thing is use less plates, One less friction plate means you need less lift ie you have more clearance for the other plates, Brother Ron , Has had to do this with a Comet he is building, Because the plates from the works are thicker than they used to be. You may have to play with spring pressure and pushrod lengths, There may be a slip problem, You may have to up the spring pressure but I dought it, But it's a case of Suck it and See, Sorry you didn't get much milage this year, Fingers crossed for next, Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Even once you have the clutch lifting mechanism at its best, the clutch will still have considerable drag on your first freeing off kick with the clutch lever squeezed to the bar grip.This is due to the oil on the plates sticking them together. The only way to have one of these clutches free off very well, is if the plates are dry. This can be done if you have the right plates made to suit running dry. But run wet, they always drag at first, then come good once the engine is running, this because the centrifugal force throws the oil out, but retains enough to lube the plates and stop them overheating quickly. Set it up so as to have very little freeplay at the handle bar lever when cold, this will increase as the engine warms up. At the end of the day, there is only so much travel you can achieve, trying to gain tinny amounts here and there could become never ending, and the extra lift won't give much improvement, but installing the longer G91/1 will help a lot, as it has the same effect as changing the handlebar lever from 7/8 pivots to 1 1/8, thus changing the lift/travel ratio. Good luck.........Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I ran mine dry, But they were Norton Commando sintered bronze friction plates, I cut the inner teeth to fit old type Norton clutch by Hand !!, But I was young, What else was there to do !!. Cheers Bill.