V3 clutch drag

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is a much brought up topic, but I need some advice. I was out yesterday on the way to the Owls Head Vintage meet on my B with Mike Whitney on his D Shadow. My clutch has always acted up a bit when it gets hot, but in this case, 50 miles out, after a delightful spirited ride through the Maine countryside, we came to the first stoplight on the route, Route 1 in Waldoboro. In goes the clutch lever and I continue rolling on my way into the intersection until I give it enough brake to stall. The clutch is dragging enough that I cannot hold it with my feet, and when restarted, I cannot get it into first. After a bit of diagnosis and adjustment in a convenient gas station, we decide it is hopeless for the remaining stop and go traffic into the meet, and I wave Mike off and on his way. This was very disappointing as we had arranged to have all 4 Vincent's in Maine at Owls Head, but I wasn't going to push start it the remaining 5 miles. I worked out a return home route that would be light traffic on a busy holiday weekend, almost all right turns , no lights, and one stop sign on a not too busy intersection. Got a push from a group of friendly but amused Harley guys to get it into first and off I go. 50+ miles later I arrive in the driveway and stall it after not stopping once. Whew!

So anyway, now the advice part: I take off the clutch cover, (a new deeper one so no drag there), while things are still hot and notice that the outer plate is not lifting squarely, so I rotate the springs around until I get a better result, but still quite a bit of drag, though the bike is cooling off and the crankcase expansion that probably caused this is going away. A bit of unhurried adjustment of the cable and the new VOC Spares mod internal adjuster in the clutch cover gives a marginal improvement, but not great. I notice that the new but 30 years old clutch cable is groaning with the effort when I pull in the lever, and I can feel some sponginess. This V3 is also a very early one not used until now, and it probably has the heavier springs they first came with, so I will be contacting Steve Hamel about getting the newer 20 lb. springs that I think are now used. The other questions I want to ask is how the new VOC Spares clutch cables stand up to this use? Are they stiffer and more robust than what was available in the 80's and 90's? Should I use something like the Venhill Universal kit for added robustness and less friction? Next, my G91/1 lever is a bit worn at the tip, and its use with the new internal adjuster relies on a good tip to get the length for extra leverage. Is the G91/1 now available from the Spares Company really different, since it's part number has not changed from the ones available long ago? The advertisement in the back of MPH last year seems to indicate that it is in fact a slightly different design specifically to work with the internal adjuster.

Also, will any of this make a difference? The G91/1 lever now is coming up against the cable abutment at the same time the hand lever is meeting the thin grip I have on the handlebar. I guess the difference would be that the beginning of travel could be adjusted farther away from the abutment if there was less travel lost, and so total travel would be greater. Finally, how important is the length of the pushrod and roller? Mine is hardened and not worn. It was originally too long, so much so that I worried the adjuster would foul the kickstart lever. I had to grind the roller shorter and reharden it when I put in the new internal adjuster. The adjuster is now in the middle of its range, but perhaps a slightly longer rod length might help? This is one I can't think through as it seems that should not matter as long as it is long enough to be pushed by the clutch lifter mechanism and still have a bit proud of the shaft end. (by the way, there is no adjustment available at the clutch end in a V3). Would shortening or shimming the cable abutment help?
I have a feeling that correct operation for these clutches is not a matter of one thing, but making sure everything is just right. Very little room for compromise.

Thanks,

Ron

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Davidd sent me some advice about this and reminded me of Greg Brillus' good counsel about filing the plate tabs that may stick in the slots and about shimming under the spring caps to reduce pressure.
I just went out with a dial indicator and I get .054 lift at the button in the clutch outer plate, but the plates do stick in the slots a bit so they will come out and I will follow Greg's advice about filing the tabs just a scoche. I found that half of the outer plate lift occurs in the final 1/3 of the hand lever travel, so I am getting some compression, maybe in the outer cable housing, but it could also be flex in the G91/1. I can only get about 5/8 inch travel of the G91 lever where it fits the cable, however I adjust it, but there is 3/4+ available movement space, so if I can somehow get that extra 1/8" that should add up to over .062 of rod travel. I think I will file the tabs, maybe shim 3 or 6 of the spring caps, get a new g91/1, and get a new cable that is longitudinally wound. (one at a time in that order). I did work out that shortening the abutment will not help.

Ron

clevtrev

VOC Member
No, not that, all though it is a requirement. What I mean is the clutch centre on the gearbox mainshaft. This is to take care of the case expansion. I found that with my own clutch, it needed .015" of end float, cold.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Even when you look at bikes that come originally with multi plates, they do not actually have that much travel themselves. This would therefore lead one to assume that the available travel you can get with the Vincent twin is enough. All things being equal, I feel this to be true, The first question I would ask, is the clutch being run wet or dry....? If it is dry, and of the original V3 setup then the clutch plates will overheat and cause the ultimate symptom you described. The available oil space is very limiting and requires frequent changing (annually) dependent on usage. Excess wobble in the chainwheel bushes will definitely NOT help, as a multi plate should run as true as it can, this is also why I suggested that you dress off all the ears on the friction plates as Ron Mentioned earlier, thus enabling the clutch pack to free off easier......I have discussed this issue with Neal Videan at length myself. A handlebar lever with 1 1/8 pivot centers is a must, and adjust the G 91/1 lever so it starts pushing with the lever closer to the RHS or nearest the inspection cap as possible, this with the cable adjuster. On some machines, I think very early ones, if the G 91/1 operates too far in, it can inhibit down shifting, as the G 66 lever can hit it with the clutch lever depressed. I think I have struck this one a couple of times before. One item that if available would definitely help, is a G91/1 lever with more length at the very bottom. This would ultimately change the leverage ratio in favor of more lift. Use a VERY THIN oil to lube the plates, like a semi synthetic 10W oil say for modern auto engines. ATF does work ok, but becomes dirty quite quickly. Finally adjust up the lift from a cold engine so there is minimal free play at the handlebar lever, this will increase as the engine warms up. Use a couple of freeing off kicks first start of the day, which will feel a bit draggy, after engine start, engage 2nd gear then down shift to first. After which, the centrifugal action will throw most oil out of the plates, and the clutch will act like a dry clutch with no more drag for the rest of the day. This action applies daily. I feel a twin with a multiplate would work best with a dry clutch, as the clutch on the racer works very well dry. But you MUST have plates that can run dry, as standard wet plates overheat very quickly, if run dry. Cheers for now...............Greg.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
No, not that, all though it is a requirement. What I mean is the clutch centre on the gearbox mainshaft. This is to take care of the case expansion. I found that with my own clutch, it needed .015" of end float, cold.

Got it. Thanks. Something else to look at.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Even when you look at bikes that come originally with multi plates, they do not actually have that much travel themselves. This would therefore lead one to assume that the available travel you can get with the Vincent twin is enough. All things being equal, I feel this to be true, The first question I would ask, is the clutch being run wet or dry....? If it is dry, and of the original V3 setup then the clutch plates will overheat and cause the ultimate symptom you described. The available oil space is very limiting and requires frequent changing (annually) dependent on usage. Excess wobble in the chainwheel bushes will definitely NOT help, as a multi plate should run as true as it can, this is also why I suggested that you dress off all the ears on the friction plates as Ron Mentioned earlier, thus enabling the clutch pack to free off easier......I have discussed this issue with Neal Videan at length myself. A handlebar lever with 1 1/8 pivot centers is a must, and adjust the G 91/1 lever so it starts pushing with the lever closer to the RHS or nearest the inspection cap as possible, this with the cable adjuster. On some machines, I think very early ones, if the G 91/1 operates too far in, it can inhibit down shifting, as the G 66 lever can hit it with the clutch lever depressed. I think I have struck this one a couple of times before. One item that if available would definitely help, is a G91/1 lever with more length at the very bottom. This would ultimately change the leverage ratio in favor of more lift. Use a VERY THIN oil to lube the plates, like a semi synthetic 10W oil say for modern auto engines. ATF does work ok, but becomes dirty quite quickly. Finally adjust up the lift from a cold engine so there is minimal free play at the handlebar lever, this will increase as the engine warms up. Use a couple of freeing off kicks first start of the day, which will feel a bit draggy, after engine start, engage 2nd gear then down shift to first. After which, the centrifugal action will throw most oil out of the plates, and the clutch will act like a dry clutch with no more drag for the rest of the day. This action applies daily. I feel a twin with a multiplate would work best with a dry clutch, as the clutch on the racer works very well dry. But you MUST have plates that can run dry, as standard wet plates overheat very quickly, if run dry. Cheers for now...............Greg.

Great information, and will be applied as soon as possible.., I run wet with ATF and the drilled chaincase filler and drain recommended for early V3, but will change to thin oil as you recommend. 1 1/8 lever, no wobble or run out but I did have the spring pressure variation and lift problem that I have done my best to fix now, and will shim for no wobble. I would be curious to hear what lift others get at the button with the V3 on a Vincent. . 054 would seem to be enough to free the plates enough for the weight of the bike to stop dragging and forward motion at a stop. i bet the filing will make a difference. I will either get a new G91/1 or lengthen the one I have. I'll get this fixed. D--n it is nice to be back on the road on a Rapide. Thanks again Greg.

Ron

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I have a new G91/1 on hand now and despite the part number being unchanged, the new ones are considerably beefier than the old one I had around. The tip is also longer where it will bear on the internal head of the MOD adjuster, so I will get better leverage in theory. The picture below shows the new style next to an old worn out part I found in my parts bin. Next step is to change out the one in the bike and see if it helps. Maybe I will get more than .054 lift. I will also do the relieving of the tabs, put it together and find a long stretch of road to try it out.

image.jpg