Thinking about a 1952 Black Shadow

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Howdy Eric,
might I humbly recommend getting it in bare alloy and paint it to match what you have and that can be easily done with aerosols, heat and wax. Yup, rattle cans. I painted over 60 pieces of my matching number 6,145 original mile Shadow last year with 5.5 cans of Rustoleum gloss black, experimented with heat in the oven to knock the gloss down and then once cured waxed it for a nice 50 year old looking finish.

Regarding that magneto, gonna ride it? Needs one of two things, rebuilt (Doug Wood) or better yet, replaced with a BTH primarily to benefit from the fixed drive and analogue advance built in to eliminate the ATD.

Hi Pete,

Ok that is doable on the cowl...Care to share your heat level and time recipe for the perfect low gloss match?

Now, what is a BTH primary and what is ATD ...And where can I get them and what are there advantages again? I am assuming this is a 6Vdc system correct?

Just in case where is Doug Wood?

Cheers and thanks..

Still no word from the seller...I popped off an email to him a few hours ago...

bmetcalf

VOC Member
BTH http://www.bt-h.biz/v_twin_magneto.htm This has a lot of fans. Some incurables (like me) insist on their Lucas mags, though.

ATD is the factory standard automatic timing device, a centrifugal advance unit behind the circular cover on the timing chest in line with the magneto. Roy Price sells an upgraded new version (I have one.)

Doug lives in eastern PA.

John Romano made a rare error earlier in a statement about me. He can be trusted otherwise, though.

Last edited:

samueljohn

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oh my, Eric, you will not be able to stand the sarcasm or wit within this community. None the less, Bruce is much smarter than he lets on and Peter is much smarter and talented than his prose allows. My theory on Vincents has been to "keep it simple" and "don't fix what ain't broke".

But then again, I am known to break not only my bike by many of my friends. So they have learned to not let me ride them if they want to get home...;-(

Let's get you the bike first, and work out all of the silliness later. Just remember; it is only money, and it really is just a motorbike. No big deal.
The rest will come and riding the things is your ultimate goal.
J

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Eric,

What John said …though I can’t manage to be as succinct. As a life long athlete, certain adjudged profound situations encountered over the years have seemed to trigger game-time levels of lucidity and adversarial overtones in my case. From the passion and build up I sense here, you reeeaally want this machine and this is one of those game time moments heightened further by the circumstances. At that price, it’s seeming increasing visibility and the unexpected deal breaker of all time waiting in the wings to ruin this situation – Ebay - I’d singularly focus on acquiring it hastily over any other plans….cunningly approaching this as a middle weight in a heavy weight fight. Short of being a driven obnoxious savant (as I’ve descended to on too many occasions) let’s close the deal.

As noted, the rest will take care of itself easier than it would appear intially, if my humble situation 13 years ago is any indication. I never sat on a Vin, had no reference machine within 230 miles of my shop, owned no British tools, had only KYB, Richardson and the parts list in hand and built my machine without phone calls to anyone other than John Healy and did it a single car garage. Only a gen/mag armature rewind, a caged-roller bottom end build farmed out to Mike Parti for sentimental purposes and a few machining tasks done locally by Leo Goff, the rest from stitching the seat to paint, fab, motor build etc. done (gleefully) by my tormented-on-occasion self. These are incredibly logical machines, with your prior experience, I think the hardest thing you’ll have done a year from now when looking at this project in hindsight was just acquiring the machine itself.

Last edited:

Ducdude

VOC Member
Howdy Eric,

, you reeeaally want this machine and this is one of those game time moments heightened further by the circumstances. At that price, it’s seeming increasing visibility and the unexpected deal breaker of all time waiting in the wings to ruin this situation – Ebay - I’d singularly focus on acquiring it hastily over any other plans….cunningly approaching this as a middle weight in a heavy weight fight. Short of being a driven obnoxious savant (as I’ve descended to on too many occasions) let’s close the deal.

Peter you and I are of a mind....I made an offer on the bike within 15 mins of seeing it...The bike is carefully guarded by an agent of the owner who lives in another state from the bike's current location.. My offer has been tendered and as of yesterday is being considered by the owner according to the agent...I have pushed as hard as I dare any harder and I will lose my good standing, I fear...Trust me I am not waiting in the wings on this one, not this time.....All my ducks are in a row I have everything lined up, to fight the good fight with every expectation of victory....Then the real fun begins....I will pull back and ease up on the questions till the deal is done..I will have no idea what to do with my evenings...:) Thanks all once again for the help. I at least now have a dim clue...Very dim Hmmm must be the Lucas electrics..

Ducdude

VOC Member
Thank you all for your support and assistance in my early education on all things Vincent! The owner and I finally connected we struck up a deal and the bike is mine!

Pending the paper work and the creation of the title for the US as the bike was only registered in the UK, I will have in my possession the bike of my dreams......1952 Vincent Black Shadow! HOT DAMN!

Let the re$toration BEGIN!!!!
CHEERS!,
Duc

Albervin

VOC Member
Another happy beginning.

Well done Dude! Exciting days are ahead; these will be tempered by bitter disappointment, frustration, confusion and utter disbelief. Fortunately you can share most of those altered states with
like minded people all over the globe. You went about this whole business in a very correct & organised manner so you have a head start on many of us who blindly rushed in.:cool: