Thinking about a 1952 Black Shadow

peterg

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Howdy Eric,

Wow, two Yanks on the cusp of their first Vin purchase in only two weeks on this forum, been watching this particular one with interest though.

First off, weighing the possibly misery against the reward, if you’ve not ridden a Vin they are positively unique among vintage iron in general and without peer to any machines contemporary to their era. Supremely versatile, they can answer to the need for fast roadwork, touring or in-town pottering with equal aplomb…when well sorted, more on that later. At the same time, they can “pay the rent” just by their appearance – a piece of art - I now keep one in the house mainly for gazing at and a dusty trail horse in the garage to ride.

They exemplify common sense in their design/construction with the added appeal (intrigue) of that British proclivity to make do with 10 components when others (/2 BMW) might get by with 1-2 permitting unrestricted service access with common tools/garden shed techniques and adjustability for an (assumed) well informed owner. On the latter, with the exception of the bottom end and some machining, you can restore one completely without need for any Whitworth wrenches using common shop tools and a good selection of metric/sae spanners, token concessions being exhaust nut wrench and valve inspection cap wrenches for convenience. These machines are infinitely rewarding to build/maintain/ride for those who understand why but can be frustrating for those whose mechanical abilities/understanding of a machine as a functioning system are limited to how task completion. I get a number of inquiries regarding purchasing them at the site in my sig below and that is the first question asked when the machine is not a show piece destined for a life in the front foyer. The seat alone has 5 pivot wear points in its structure and there are many others. Beyond unrewarding, these machines can actually be dangerous to ride at speed if not carefully fettled.

Now, regarding the piece you’re looking at, at the price spread quoted here against your current not yet expanded knowledge base and this machine’s unknown internal condition, despite the RFM issue, this is quite an opportunity and I’d recommend pulling the trigger in advance of the knowledge bell curve crest if in fact that motor is a Shadow and matches it’s UFM. There are few machines that cause men to “take leave of their senses” and a Black Shadow is one of them, it’s pricing tending to be a bit more emotionally based to the moment than the Rapides. But at this price range, you cannot go wrong if you had to sell it next week or next year. You may not have encountered this situation before, but it might be folly to assume this machine will wait till you are ready to make the purchase. If history serves for this scenario, the picture provided along with a smattering of other details are being scrutinized as we speak by other possible very determined suitors, I can assure you.

That said, its appearance – a bit grainy blown up in my photo app – is very complete compared to some of the baskets/stand up non runners I’ve seen sell recently for more. 19, 20 inch lined wheels, what appear to be original Birmabrites, clock, speared levers, choke levers etc. are a very good sign weighed against the late model concentric carbs fitted. The fact that it experienced a shunt sufficient to warrant replacing the RFM is more a sign of the times of this incident than the severity of the impact as matching numbers meant far less then compared to the convenience of getting a wrecked machine back on its feet swiftly. I’d would be prepared to confront some possible misalignment issues but they’re far less challenging to dealing with in this configuration than with full perimeter frames. Regarding reason stated for a kicker assembly not currently fitted, the passage of 58 years and the romance surrounded these machines can fuel all sorts of stories so I'd just nod agreeably and focus on other things. Might want to check the mating numbers on the engine (between the two cylinders on top of the cases) just for a little better piece of mind.

Other than that with the two publications quoted above, this forum, downloading the parts list/pics here and a perusal of the tech notes at thevincent.com, you should be on your way. A sincere good luck with this purchase, I remember my risk laden crap-shoot of a Shadow purchase a year and a half ago fondly.

Last edited:

samueljohn

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Eric,
Just to pile on with all of the many experienced folk here, your enthusiasm will overcome any of the difficulties you will encounter. Just muscle up and learn about the machine and you will be fine. Vincents are one of the most written and documented vintage marques, with plenty of very smart people (Bruce included, and sometimes Peter..;-)) writing feedback and advice. We have a very rich community that will encourage and enlighten you throughout your adventure with "the world's fastest standard motorcycle...".
I encourage you to read and play, and or course, ride like hell. This is what we are all here for.
If you need to actually speak to someone, please feel free to contact me. I am in Brooklyn, New York and a member of the Keystone Section. We get together about 4 or 5 times a year in the Allentown/Reading area, so go ahead and contact me and I will give the info on some local people that can guide you.
Regards
John Romano
6464040982 mobile
hrdvincent@gmail.com

Ducdude

VOC Member
Hi,
I suppose the best descrition of the work shop notes is, that it is Vincents version of haynes manuals but 100% better. They give very detailed information on stripping, building, fitting,adjusting, and timing on all aspects of Vincent twins and singles. That includes the gear box,the clutch, the forks etc etc

I dout very much that the kickstart shaft has been smashed off due to an accident, for that to have happend I would expect to see a completly smashed kickstart cover, the shaft is only a couple of inches long, and has a toothed quadrent pressed on to the inboard end of the shaft, I bet that is missing as well. That part has been removed by its owner for whatever reason.
hope this helps, back to my packing,
norm

Hi Norm,

Thanks you very much for the shop notes tip I have added it to the list of required documentation…I know that this is the kind of data I will need one night at 2300hrs when it is just not happening the way I planned.

In rethinking the kickstart damage and looking at the parts list and drawings of the parts and where they go I am thinking you are correct. The bike was crashed on the right hand side and the kick shaft bushing part G84 was indeed smashed but it makes sense that the crash happened damaged the bushing and then the trans cover was removed and the shaft and arm was removed as the cover screws are knackered and every time the wheel was turned oil poured out from the behind cover. So it is logical that the cover was not put back on tightly as the shaft was going to be put back at some time that never happend..

Thanks and Enjoy France!

Duc

Ducdude

VOC Member
First off, weighing the possibly misery against the reward, if you’ve not ridden a Vin they are positively unique among vintage iron in general and without peer to any machines contemporary to their era. SIZE]

Thanks Peter, the status and the attraction of Vincents has been know to be for the last 20 years, almost half my life as I fell in love with a Rapide owned by a friend of mine when he first showed it to me. I have never ridden one and I have only sat on 3 this Shadow was the third so I will have to wait to learn what riding one is like…

. These machines are infinitely rewarding to build/maintain/ride for those who understand why but can be frustrating for those whose mechanical abilities/understanding of a machine as a functioning system are limited to how task completion. The seat alone has 5 pivot wear points in its structure and there are many others. Beyond unrewarding, these machines can actually be dangerous to ride at speed if not carefully fettled.

I have wrenched on 70 vintage Japanese and German bikes and some more modern Italian with good result….I know it will take time to put 40 years of neglect right but the journey is half the fun. I was once told that Vincents were “Infinitely Mal-adjustable” due to the myriad of adjustments available. I will no doubt have to rely on the local Vincent experts to show me the ropes…Speaking of ropes do these bikes have keys or just on switches, and is there an oil filter and if so where the heck is it? J

Now, regarding the piece you’re looking at, despite the RFM issue, this is quite an opportunity and I’d recommend pulling the trigger that motor is a Shadow and matches it’s UFM. There are few machines that cause men to “take leave of their senses” and a Black Shadow is one of them. At this price range, you cannot go wrong. You may not have encountered this situation before, but it might be folly to assume this machine will wait till you are ready to make the purchase. If history serves for this scenario, the picture provided along with a smattering of other details are being scrutinized as we speak by other possible very determined suitors, I can assure you.

REST ASSURED I am not sitting pat. I have made a hard offer on the bike and we are waiting to hear back from the agent as to the owner’s desire. The last time I waited I was 10 Years younger and innocent to the voracity that some can bring to the bidding. If I lose this on it will not be due to a lack or temerity or fortitude on my part… The sharks are already swimming around this one as word is leaking out from the bikes hibernation…

Regarding reason stated for a kicker assembly not currently fitted, the passage of 58 years and the romance surrounded these machines can fuel all sorts of stories so I'd just nod agreeably and focus on other things.

The engine mating numbers match as does the UFM number to the engine number and this does not bother me in the least as this (hopefully) will be a rider not a show piece…I concur that the kicker is a small issue that will be added to the pile of considerations should she become mine….

Other than that with the two publications quoted above, this forum, downloading the parts list/pics here and a perusal of the tech notes at thevincent.com, you should be on your way. A sincere good luck with this purchase, I remember my risk laden crap-shoot of a Shadow purchase a year and a half ago fondly.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, for all your help,

Cheers,
Duc

Last edited:

Ducdude

VOC Member
Eric,
Just to pile on with all of the many experienced folk here, your enthusiasm will overcome any of the difficulties you will encounter. Just muscle up and learn about the machine and you will be fine. We have a very rich community that will encourage and enlighten you throughout your adventure.
I encourage you to read and play, and or course, ride like hell. This is what we are all here for.
If you need to actually speak to someone, please feel free to contact me. I am in Brooklyn, New York and a member of the Keystone Section. We get together about 4 or 5 times a year in the Allentown/Reading area, so go ahead and contact me and I will give the info on some local people that can guide you.
Regards
John
hrdvincent@gmail.com

John,

Thanks you for your words of confidence. I just hope the seller is agreeableJ and I get to have a go putting this baby back on the road.. I have been devouring the available data via the internet and a number of books I have on loan…It is good to hear from the local riders and learn of the Keystone Section’s get together in the Allentown/Reading area, which is about a hour away from me…I look forward to hopefully meeting and perhaps wrenching with you in the future..

Cheers,
Eric

clevtrev

VOC Member

Hi Norm,

Thanks you very much for the shop notes tip I have added it to the list of required documentation…I know that this is the kind of data I will need one night at 2300hrs when it is just not happening the way I planned.

In rethinking the kickstart damage and looking at the parts list and drawings of the parts and where they go I am thinking you are correct. The bike was crashed on the right hand side and the kick shaft bushing part G84 was indeed smashed but it makes sense that the crash happened damaged the bushing and then the trans cover was removed and the shaft and arm was removed as the cover screws are knackered and every time the wheel was turned oil poured out from the behind cover. So it is logical that the cover was not put back on tightly as the shaft was going to be put back at some time that never happend..

Thanks and Enjoy France!

Duc

It`s not logical that, because the kick start cover was put back on loose, it now leaks oil. The reason for that , is that there is no oil contained by that cover. Any oil coming out, is what is overflowing from the gearbox or the engine. Most likely is that because there is no shaft, oil could be flowing through from the primary, due to it ( the primary) being filled by sumping engine oil.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Eric,

A quaint reflection of the times then, there is no key/ignition on the machine you're looking at, just a magneto kill button, which inadvertantly, the failure of that device/related components in many cases is the reason for parking one and generally explains the lack of a magneto cowl cover when a machine is unearthed from long term storage. The oil filter is within a compartment capped with a large brass gland nut right below that mag. Likewise, if you need guidance or a place for commiseration once this project gets underway, just hit the feedback button at the bottom of my site's homepage.

Ducdude

VOC Member
It`s not logical that, because the kick start cover was put back on loose, it now leaks oil. The reason for that , is that there is no oil contained by that cover. Any oil coming out, is what is overflowing from the gearbox or the engine. Most likely is that because there is no shaft, oil could be flowing through from the primary, due to it ( the primary) being filled by sumping engine oil.

Well the learning continues and never ends! Thanks for following up I will reinvestagate and see if I can trace the leak to its proper source..

Take care

Ducdude

VOC Member
Howdy Eric,

there is no key/ignition on the machine you're looking at, just a magneto kill button, which inadvertantly, the failure of that device/related components in many cases is the reason for parking one and generally explains the lack of a magneto cowl cover when a machine is unearthed from long term storage. The oil filter is within a compartment capped with a large brass gland nut right below that mag. Likewise, if you need guidance or a place for commiseration once this project gets underway, just hit the feedback button at the bottom of my site's homepage.

Peter thanks for the tips...Indeed this bike has no frount cowl...If all goes well it looks like a mag rebuild may be needed.. That said as the cowl is missing are new cowls avalable in the aftermarket in black, or will a new one need to be powder coated or painted?

Cheers,
Eric

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Eric,

There are more repop parts available for a Vin than even the most supported vintage machine of the era, the Indian Chief, especially by piece count and a cowl is no problem. That said, and my only reference being your mention of making it a rider, might I humbly recommend getting it in bare alloy and paint it to match what you have and that can be easily done with aerosols, heat and wax. Yup, rattle cans. I painted over 60 pieces of my matching number 6,145 original mile Shadow last year with 5.5 cans of Rustoleum gloss black, experimented with heat in the oven to knock the gloss down and then once cured waxed it for a nice 50 year old looking finish.

Regarding that magneto, gonna ride it? Needs one of two things, rebuilt (Doug Wood) or better yet, replaced with a BTH primarily to benefit from the fixed drive and analogue advance built in to eliminate the ATD.