Starting Vincent Life with a Backfire!

KennyNUT

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
When I got my twin it was fitted with an Alton generator but this seemed very poor, it turned ouut to be an early 3 phase one, I spoke to Paul Hamon and he said he would do me a part exchange for a modern single phase one for £ 140 plus I would need a new regulator as well. This seemed to be a bit expensive to me and involved sending things to France and back so I looked around and found a firm called Hawker Electrical who did a rebuild kit for a Lucas dynamo for
£ 103 this consisted of new field coil, armature, bearings and brushes in 6v or 12v. I rebuilt an scrappy old 60w dynamo and fitted it with an electronic regulator, done 5000 miles now, lights are great not the slightest charging problem.
Unfortunately Hawker seem to have stopped trading but found a firm called Feked who supply all the same parts seperately, have just rebuilt another dynamo for my SS100 replica and everything seems to well made and fits perfectly.
Chris

Chris, thanks for the info. "Feked", not sure I could bring myself to buy anything from a company called "Feked". Not with my luck. Perhaps, I overdosed on Mrs Brown's Boys at Xmas. I remember avoiding buying a bike with the letters FKD for the same reason, yet I never considered myself superstitious. It just shows what you can rebuild though and I do confess to wondering what bits could be cobbled together. Hope your not offended by my reply!! Have a great 2014.

Howard

VOC Member
Chris, thanks for the info. "Feked", not sure I could bring myself to buy anything from a company called "Feked". Not with my luck. Perhaps, I overdosed on Mrs Brown's Boys at Xmas. I remember avoiding buying a bike with the letters FKD for the same reason, yet I never considered myself superstitious. It just shows what you can rebuild though and I do confess to wondering what bits could be cobbled together. Hope your not offended by my reply!! Have a great 2014.

I've used Feked, they seem to sell good value products, but you do have to be careful when entering their web address.

Chris. Charging systems are horses for courses, I transfered the same system as yours from my Twin to my Comet. The Comet has a BT-H and low wattage bulbs, and the charging system is now adequate. The Twin runs more modern electrics and needs about 80 watts for the coil ignition and dipped headlamp, the dynamo wouldn't cope, but the alternator (similar to the Walkernator) balances at less than 30 mph in top - and goes up to 300 watts.

H

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a BTH on the Twin with the dynamo with LED's where possible, the Norvin has a crank mounted lucas 3 phase alternator and runs dual twin plug coil ignition,as you say horses for courses. My choises were almost made for me, the Twin came with the BTH fitted and the cost of replacing the Alton seemed a bit much and I had some dynamo's already, the Norvin has chopped cases with an open belt primary so the lucas was an easy and cheap option, in fact I managed it without modifying the mainshaft.
Chris.

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
I had a centre stand on my Comet and just didn't like it so replaced it with: Kawasaki Ninja Zxr 250c 1991 Side Kick Stand (271281106421) Fifteen minutes, drill two holes fit :) couldn't be happier

Interesting comment. It turns out that my "Tread Down" Rapide stand is very different to a "Tread Down" Comet stand as the width of the two engines are not identical as well as the right hand plate and other small details (thanks PlasticBeer for pointing out earlier there was more to it than the RH plate). Dave Hill got back to me to describe those differences in detail. He is interested in doing an exchange for my Rapide stand plus £ his way, of course. Seemed very helpful by email (I missed his last calls, unfortunately).

Does anyone here need a Rapide stand?
Photos available.
This one would require a return spring, rubber and powder coating as it has the original red oxide coating as it has never been fitted to any bike.

Otherwise, I may proceed with the exchange when Dave provides me with a valuation.

I don't want a side stand, as some have fitted, as my bikes are sometimes laid up for weeks at a time when I am travelling or busy. I prefer the weight being off the tyres during these periods. I also find it precarious to rest the bike against me whilst I lean backwards to undo the tommy bar at the base of the rear mudguard to release the rear stand. I find myself putting down both front stands, just in case, though they do put the bike at a comedy angle. In another post entitled "Comet Stand", someone else has described a similar set of circumstances and different Japanese solutions have been described. I have not dropped the bike, thank goodness, however, its weight at a standstill could overwhelm. Now, I know why these bikes are referred to as "Brit Iron"!! I want the bike to be easily rideable or manageable and not an ornament as I had a back operation 2 years ago and do not want that aggravated. So I am hoping the Tread Down stand is easy to use. I don't really want a D series stand on my C series Comet though it looks very easy to use, indeed.

Thanks for comments on stands to date (still no back fires now, phew).

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I did not like my centre stand because it required HUGE amount of effort (both lifting and pushing back) to get onto stand, even after modifying to give minimum lift height (which is still far too high)Also it couldn't be retracted while straddling bike.
Kevin

Howard

VOC Member
I did not like my centre stand because it required HUGE amount of effort (both lifting and pushing back) to get onto stand, even after modifying to give minimum lift height (which is still far too high)Also it couldn't be retracted while straddling bike.
Kevin

I'm amazed at that Kevin. I bought a Comet with (as far as I know) a Dave Hills centre stand, and it's the easiest stand I've ever used, it's so easy to roll the bike on and off. The one drawback is, I worry it will fall off it (but it hasn't).

H

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Like Kevin mine takes a great deal of effort to get on the centre stand, although mine is a twin and was already on when I got the bike I wonder if something is wrong, as alledgedly it should take no effort, certainly standing on the "tread down" bit makes very little difference and I weigh 18 st.
Chris.

Howard

VOC Member
When we (North Staffs Section) put on the VOC display at the local bike show, at least once per show I hear someone say, "These Vincents are all very nice, but they're all the same."

The joys of ignorant bliss! :)

H

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A few comments about my own experience with stands on a Vincent built to ride rather than to look at. My comments relate to a twin with Girdraulic forks and fully sprung rear. Our bikes tend to differ in suspension set up, wheel/tyre size, etc so your own experience may differ.

Tread Down type centre stand. (I have one of these fitted and it is probably one of the best modifications I have done.)
Pros.
  • Very easy to put on the stand. As I am quite tall I can even put it on the stand before dismounting by pushing my left foot down on the stand extension and pulling back on the handlebars. (The length of the stand legs are set so the rear tyre just touches the ground when on the stand so that there is minimal lifting involved.)
  • It gives a stable upright base when kick starting or working on the bike.
Cons.
  • Adds a few more pounds to the weight to the bike.
  • Not standard if original looks are important to you.

Vincent Front Stands. (I have these fitted.)
Pros.
  • Absolutely invaluable out on the road if you have a front wheel puncture. You can pivot them down as a unit to elevate the machine and remove the wheel.
Cons.
  • Can be awkward to deploy and the angle of lean can be precarious depending on the unmodified length of the stand and static suspension height.

Vincent Rear Stand. (I have this fitted.)
Pros.
  • It is a standard fitment, works well as a rear stand, enables rear wheel removal and supports the rear mudguard. It is actually fairly easy once the stand is released to stand on the right of the bike and lift it on to the stand once you have practiced the technique.
Cons.
  • Fiddly and time consuming for everyday use as the FT115 has to be unscrewed before putting the stand down and tightened up again when putting the stand back up.
  • It is not recommended to kick start the bike on the rear stand as it may strain the the RFM lugs.

Aftermarket Side Stands.
(Not fitted.)
Pros.

• No lifting involved.
  • Can usually be deployed from the saddle before getting off the bike.
Cons.

• Not standard if original looks are important to you.