Starting Vincent Life with a Backfire!

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is hard to beat Chankly's advice. If your float has a little leak or the needle does not shut the fuel flow off your carb will be over-dribbling, as opposed to the normal dribbling. I think the 289 is a good carb to start with. You might wiggle the slide to see if it is terribly worn. I would think if you can make friends with this set up it would serve you well until you are more comfortable with riding and are in a position to want to make a change.

David

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
If you want to go that way, contact Steve at Motocarb (U.K.) . He can supply a correctly jetted 28mm. Mikuni and all fittings. I have no commercial ties with this company, but the Comet on Steroids just started third kick on a brand new motor and settled down to a reliable idle immediately.He supplied the Mikuni.289 needles are brass, I don't think jungle juice affects them!

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you all. I will review each morsel of advice and after I am back from visiting family in Scotland, I will work through it all step by step, beginning with the easiest to the more involved and finally, potentially the more expensive. I will report back in a few days. :confused:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Surely you need to stop the dribbling as a priority as it is dangerous, you only need to have too much petrol about and a backfire through the carb and it could go up !! also a wrong fuel level will affect all the other settings.

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
Welcome to the club!
Before you start throwing new bits at your Comet ,if possible, ask the vendor how they started it from hot and cold.After much kicking ,swearing:mad: and puzzled looks from other local members I have now found the code to starting mine:eek: and I would think that no two are alike. For me with a standard carb its fuel on for 5 seconds then off NO TICKLING and kick her into life with the throttle closed (usually goes 2nd or 3rd kick) I just need to get into the habit of turning on the tap before it stops 1/2 mile up the road.............

vibrac

VOC Member
Welcome to the club!
I have now found the code to starting mine:eek: and I would think that no two are alike. For me with a standard carb its fuel on for 5 seconds then off NO TICKLING and kick her into life with the throttle closed (usually goes 2nd or 3rd kick) I just need to get into the habit of turning on the tap before it stops 1/2 mile up the road.............

This is one of the truisms of owning a Vincent 70 years old 30 or so variable settings to start with plus wear of differing levels fuel differences environmental differences and use patterns. every bike is different the only time I get the same starting results with two different vincents is when I put em on the foxley starter:eek:

Howard

VOC Member
I found the code to starting mine this year, after 39 years.

1. Switch on petrol.
2. Tickle both carbs.
3. Press big red button!!!

H