Starting Vincent Life with a Backfire!

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm amazed at that Kevin. I bought a Comet with (as far as I know) a Dave Hills centre stand, and it's the easiest stand I've ever used, it's so easy to roll the bike on and off. The one drawback is, I worry it will fall off it (but it hasn't).

H
Hi Howard, mine is not a Hills stand and i can't remember where i got it from, Big ed mentions that his tyre just clears the ground, i have cut mine down as far as possible and it still clears the ground by several inches.
I think the two most important factors for an effective centre stand are : position longitudanally on the bike and the distance above the ground for point of pivot. I believe my stand to be outside the ideal parameters for both.
I would be very interested to hear what others have to say about longitudinal position of pivot point in relation to some standard datum above the pivot. I.e. It lines up with Front pivot for rear shock or some such thing.
My beemer weighs 100 odd kilos more than Comet and almost jumps up on centre stand with no effort?

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
According to the Feked site the name is all to do with a religious program featuring some Irish stereotypes (sorry redbloke) , I have had a silencer from them , good quality but the hanger mount required "modification".

Last edited:

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I'm amazed at that Kevin. I bought a Comet with (as far as I know) a Dave Hills centre stand, and it's the easiest stand I've ever used, it's so easy to roll the bike on and off. The one drawback is, I worry it will fall off it (but it hasn't).

H
Hi Howard, in what direction does it feel unstable? side ways or fwd/backwards? Kevin

Howard

VOC Member
Hi Howard, in what direction does it feel unstable? side ways or fwd/backwards? Kevin

Hi Kevin, it doesn't feel unstable, it's just too easy to use, and the wheel(s) are barely clear of the ground. It's like no centre stand I've had before and it's hard to believe all the others were wrong, but I've got nothing tangible to complain about, I think it's a wonderful piece of kit.

H

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
A few comments about my own experience with stands on a Vincent built to ride rather than to look at. My comments relate to a twin with Girdraulic forks and fully sprung rear. Our bikes tend to differ in suspension set up, wheel/tyre size, etc so your own experience may differ.

Tread Down type centre stand. (I have one of these fitted and it is probably one of the best modifications I have done.)
Pros.
  • Very easy to put on the stand. As I am quite tall I can even put it on the stand before dismounting by pushing my left foot down on the stand extension and pulling back on the handlebars. (The length of the stand legs are set so the rear tyre just touches the ground when on the stand so that there is minimal lifting involved.)
  • It gives a stable upright base when kick starting or working on the bike.
Cons.
  • Adds a few more pounds to the weight to the bike.
  • Not standard if original looks are important to you.

Vincent Front Stands. (I have these fitted.)
Pros.
  • Absolutely invaluable out on the road if you have a front wheel puncture. You can pivot them down as a unit to elevate the machine and remove the wheel.
Cons.
  • Can be awkward to deploy and the angle of lean can be precarious depending on the unmodified length of the stand and static suspension height.

Vincent Rear Stand. (I have this fitted.)
Pros.
  • It is a standard fitment, works well as a rear stand, enables rear wheel removal and supports the rear mudguard. It is actually fairly easy once the stand is released to stand on the right of the bike and lift it on to the stand once you have practiced the technique.
Cons.
  • Fiddly and time consuming for everyday use as the FT115 has to be unscrewed before putting the stand down and tightened up again when putting the stand back up.
  • It is not recommended to kick start the bike on the rear stand as it may strain the the RFM lugs.

Aftermarket Side Stands.
(Not fitted.)
Pros.

• No lifting involved.
  • Can usually be deployed from the saddle before getting off the bike.
Cons.

• Not standard if original looks are important to you.

Eddy,

Many thanks for this thought out and well considered response. Dave Hill has indicated he is happy for me to try the stand first, which I thought was both very helpful and generous. I do not mind the bike not looking original with this stand fitted as I believe it to be completely reversible as long as the original left and right hand plates are retained which in this case they will be.

Cheers, Kenny.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just a thought! How old is the stand? The early ones did not have the ‘foot pedal’ in an optimum position and Dick Sherwin, as an early adopter, spent a lot of time cutting, welding and repositioning the pedal until it was at an optimum position. All the later ones have the pedal at the correct LOW position and should be easy to use. At 5’ 7” I am ‘vertically challenged compared with many of you and yet I find it a very easy stand to use.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Could we have a picture or drawing of the "correct" pedal postion please? I'm 5'7" as well and I have to virtually lift the bike on to the centre-stand whilst standing on the pedal.
Chris.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I can do that tomorrow but the pedal should be right at the rear or bottom of the left hand leg, depending upon whether you are viewing the stand up or down.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Interesting comment. It turns out that my "Tread Down" Rapide stand is very different to a "Tread Down" Comet stand as the width of the two engines are not identical as well as the right hand plate and other small details (thanks PlasticBeer for pointing out earlier there was more to it than the RH plate). Dave Hill got back to me to describe those differences in detail. He is interested in doing an exchange for my Rapide stand plus £ his way, of course. Seemed very helpful by email (I missed his last calls, unfortunately).

Does anyone here need a Rapide stand?
Photos available.
This one would require a return spring, rubber and powder coating as it has the original red oxide coating as it has never been fitted to any bike.

Otherwise, I may proceed with the exchange when Dave provides me with a valuation.

I don't want a side stand, as some have fitted, as my bikes are sometimes laid up for weeks at a time when I am travelling or busy. I prefer the weight being off the tyres during these periods. I also find it precarious to rest the bike against me whilst I lean backwards to undo the tommy bar at the base of the rear mudguard to release the rear stand. I find myself putting down both front stands, just in case, though they do put the bike at a comedy angle. In another post entitled "Comet Stand", someone else has described a similar set of circumstances and different Japanese solutions have been described. I have not dropped the bike, thank goodness, however, its weight at a standstill could overwhelm. Now, I know why these bikes are referred to as "Brit Iron"!! I want the bike to be easily rideable or manageable and not an ornament as I had a back operation 2 years ago and do not want that aggravated. So I am hoping the Tread Down stand is easy to use. I don't really want a D series stand on my C series Comet though it looks very easy to use, indeed.

Thanks for comments on stands to date (still no back fires now, phew).

I have two Comets. One has a D type centre stand fitted by the legendary 'Furness and Searle' many years ago. It has always been very stable, as long as one takes the road camber into account. However it requires a heftier pull than the similar stand as fitted to my twin as the point of balance is not so advantageous on the Comet.

The other Comet has an early Dave Hills stand, which is almost a 'roll on' stand and is very easy to use requiring hardly any effort. The rear wheel barely leaves the ground. There are two potential dangers with mine. A slight shove from behind will easily push it off the stand. Secondly, I once left the Comet ticking over on the stand whilst I shut the garage doors. I heard an almighty crash. The tick over had been enough to rock the bike off the stand and cause it to topple over. Having said this I would not give up the stand for anything. I am too decrepit to struggle with the rear stand any more.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A more over centre position is more secure but also take more effort to push to get off the stand. The stand can be adjusted with file/weld to get the best compromise.
.......... There are two potential dangers with mine. A slight shove from behind will easily push it off the stand. Secondly, I once left the Comet ticking over on the stand whilst I shut the garage doors. I heard an almighty crash. The tick over had been enough to rock the bike off the stand and cause it to topple over. Having said this I would not give up the stand for anything. I am too decrepit to struggle with the rear stand any more.