Misc: Everything Else Starting Problem - Series 'C' BIG Single

Jez Nemeth

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dry clutch -nice bronze plates in there...but good guess yes, occasionally when I'm standing on the kickstart about 2ft off sea-level and jump up and down on it there has been the merest hint of slip, kind of glad of it tbh as it's so close and can always adjust up easily -

Radial pattern on beltESA just me double checking tooth number with a black sharpie for ordering that Alloy pulley from Bolton Engineering
image (95).jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You have not got much thread working on that mainshaft nut Jez !.
70 lb might be a bit much on so few threads ?.

This is what I did when racing, Commando Bronze plates, Hand cut to work on old Norton Clutch,
Plus the steel plates cut slots with a round bit at the end, To stop breaking ?,
And also to stop warping with the heat and to scrape any exess oil off the bronze.
It did slip a bit if any oil mist got on them,
Needed heavy springs, But for Sprinting if I held it in with 4 fingers then took 2 fingers off !,
Then let the clutch out, I could not have another go at the clutch, I was OFF !.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Now you mention it that is a long way out, and there's not a huge amount on there -1/2" or so...well spotted, that might just have prompted the decision to move to the ordered alloy billet pulley early -or confirmed it.

Or should have welded the de-toothed front ESA sprocket flush with the inner face of the steel pulley and removed the inner facing boss from it, where the spacer between it and the bearing race could then go?

Yup -that would work, gain another 1/4" of thread, 3/4" be fine then for 70lbs I'm thinking.

Hindsight is indeed 20/20! ;)

Last edited:

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Thinking be a pain to get at those welds now, deep inside the ESA -sprocket is Cast iron, Pulley is Mild and 1 1/2" thick -took some carving out.

If was to re-do, would start again with version 2 and get a professional not using a 1920's Drummond Barrel Lathe run off a Zanussi washing machine motor to do the parts machining -not 100% happy with the accuracy of rotation, may be my eye but there's a slight wobble there despite wrapping the welds in ceramic wool while cooling, and redhot pre-heating, always going to be some distortion joining pig iron and steel -unavoidable -it's pretty good, but not perfect.

Alloy pulley be here in 2 weeks and may be better allround for this beasty...starting and running... convinced it does need to be accurate as humanly possible and have the full 70lbs holding it together.

H&S staff look away now...

image (96).jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have converted a wood lathe , We are a Pair ?.

On the Comet which uses the same mainshaft as a Twin,
The nut does not go fully on, Don't know why,
But on a Twin it almost does,
What I am saying is we are not looking to get the nut fully on ,
Just a bit more than you have now ?.

I can hear Vic Screaming now !! :) .

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Possibly could remove 3/16th's that would bring the pulley in closer to the bulkhead of the inner primary, mr Dremmel is nodding in the corner, so I think that's a possible -we'd have 3/4" thread -good enough?

Another question -do velocity stacks help with starting? Always liked the look of them, and want to have something that fits on the 36mm 1000 series, and looks like business (vanity and all that, but it's a big part of this, bike got to look right) -did think about turning one -in Alloy not wood Bill ;) -but prohibitive cost of materials alone to do that, Harley ones are £200 + for a nice one -Went searching and for the price of a good coffee found this which thought would be suitable... it does unfortunately look like something you'd put a dearly beloved in... hope that's not the case - but an elegant shape nonetheless.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 13.49.11.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 13.49.11.png
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I keep meaning to work out why the Comet nut does not go fully on,
3/4" has got to be better ,

No they just look nice, But you should leave the small holes in the front not covered by the Ram Stack,
I love the Mk2 it all just flows nice to look at and must be better high revs.
Also made out of proper alloy.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
I'll try to compress the first video -but maybe better to do another, shorter version...
TBH I was expecting a Barry White/Tom Jones version of a comet note from the exhaust too, even with those revs -progressive but not stupidly high by any means, just on the edge of comfortable...

nope. Not much louder at all, a bit -but certainly not as frantic as the 500 comet which sounds more akin to an annoyed Magpie comparatively, don't get me wrong -do love that sound, racy -just best I could come up with to describe the difference.

This is more of a John Lee Hooker single ...