Misc: Everything Else Starting Problem - Series 'C' BIG Single

Jez Nemeth

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
coming to the same realisation Bill, yes about 1/2 -3/4 inch somewhere in there -tight, but closer to 40 than 70lbs of torque on it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I just use a small car oil Seperator, And short pipe.

Attachments

• 004 (3) (1).JPG
    004 (3) (1).JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 17

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Breather ...got some really bent Gerry Burgess handlebars from my old Hetchins Experto Crede, or some equally bent Lauterwassers from that episode on the Selbach -choice!

This is exaclty why hoarding and keeping stuff is sooo important.

Last edited:

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Breather kit...

Not GB bars but 1952 Reynolds Maes bars no less, perfect -bent to hell anyway, never fly again -but will be given an appropriate repurpose...

image (98).jpg

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I thought the breather pipe flowed with the shape of the Ex' :) .
No ?, Can't win them all !.

Good idea about not fitting breather gear, I will never use it,
But might need the spindle for the steady plate ?, I still need to get a Plate.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 11

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Ahh...I see, that's how it is - just pull out the twin option!! ;)

I haven't got that second pipe, could bend it same shape as my leg I suppose ...trick for me is how to do it so it's not noticeable...or make a feature of the unavoidable -but tastefully and as 'period' as poss...just my pref.

Spindle as you say -will just be holding up the steady plate...next time I'm in there that pinion is being extracted and put back on the other engine.

Righty, got a few bits to make this evening while it's too hot to write reports and do paperwork -which I've decided it is...gonna get a brew, a blow torch and do some remedial creative playtime!!!

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Update -made that breather by cutting and joining two tappet adjuster caps on top of each other, drilling a hole and then adding the bit of Maes handlebar - the ID of the hole is 3/4" right through -that'll make it breathe! I really get it, and it'll help with kick over too at starting of course. Getting the fettling of it's life presently, but will polish up well, and is only a little taller than a standard inspection cap.

Goes quietly unnoticed, but does the job -which was the design brief...

While making it I thought it should have a name, that was one beer in, by the second I'd decided on one...

Most bits that serve to enhance the performance of these bikes seem to collect one - this looks ok to my mind, and could go almost unseen up there on the front rocker cap, but does the same important job as the 'Elephant's trunk', and is of about same size bore... a good thing.

So, following this thinking, and please don't take offence here mate, I did think to call it the 'Bill made me do it...' ,
but it's lacking that all important catchiness -simply the 'BT breather' for short...which I will fondly forever refer to it as.

Bloody good idea that Bill, thank you -blocked up rear lower oil breather too, and can't wait to fit this tomorrow. ;)

Attachments

• image - 2022-06-23T225410.504.jpg
    image - 2022-06-23T225410.504.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image - 2022-06-23T225346.375.jpg
    image - 2022-06-23T225346.375.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 20
  • image - 2022-06-23T225352.679.jpg
    image - 2022-06-23T225352.679.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 21
  • image - 2022-06-23T225339.019.jpg
    image - 2022-06-23T225339.019.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 20

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Now I am Blushing !.
How did you weld it ?,Don't forget the pipe must run up,
How are you going to get it pointing in the right place ?,

Could you put some of your Energy in a bottle !,
And send some over here :) .
All The Best Mate, Bill.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Yes had to cut the tube shorter to clear the exhaust nut on rotation, I'll cut it and re-weld with more clearance...I'll get a photo of it on the bike in a bit, does look pretty good and polished up well.

Welding, yes, it's a bit of an art that one -have to judge temp constantly using the MAP gas and a torch, easily melt the whole thing into a puddle if not careful with your beautiful project running off the bench, and the change from a solid form you're trying to fix to *%£%@*!!!! Can be be measured in milliseconds.

Use fluxed aluminium weld rods, and a hand held torch, if you're careful can achieve miracles with it -small case repairs...one thing it can't do so well is deep penetration of cracks, joins or fissures ...found a way round that though, to produce an equally or stronger repair than an argon Aluminium weld at home for some things ... takes a bit of prep though ;)

Last edited: