Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ok next lot of questions..........Does anyone know what kind of dip switch the prewar Comets and Meteor's had..........? Also has anyone any descent pictures and /or details showing the rear pillion footrest mounting brackets and the footrest pieces themselves. I have the mounting brackets although they have been slightly modified, but I am missing the footrest pieces themselves. Whilst I'm at it, would any member have a spare restoreable one inch Amal throttle assembly, they seem to be quite scarce to find and the repro ones are a bit ordinary. Cheers..............Greg.
Greg I can answer two of those questions.
The dip switch was the Miller Diplite switch which are serious rocking horse s##t to find. The last one I saw was on eBay and it went for over £200 for a battered switch in need of restoring. Here is a photo of an original on the far left of the bars.
IMG_3523.JPG

As for the pillion footrests, see the drawing Bob Stafford sent us years ago. Note the footpieces are welded to pivot tubes at a slight angle due to the RFM tubes not been parallel to the axis of the bike:
Pillion footrest assy.JPG

Simon

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Don't know why the photos were posted twice. maybe somebody could remove the duplicates. Oh to be able to edit a post, even if its just within the first 10 minutes after posting.
Simon

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Wow Simon That's great.......You've just saved me a bundle.......I do believe I have the tubular folding foot pieces after all. Only in the box of spares I had no idea what they were. I'm sure I've seen those dip switches before, but like you say.....pretty rare on any good day. That's a great photo of an original bike.... I like the square headed handlebar lever clip screws. The ammeter looks more like the version on the mid-era postwar bikes. Just looked at Chris post above, but I think Simon's picture just answered your question. There was one for sale on flea bay the other day which I bid on, but it sold for over a 100 pounds.......!!!!! I didn't realize they were that rare. Cheers and thanks again..............Greg.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Sorry for those wondering how this bike is progressing I will somehow get pictures on here, but basically the complete wheels are finished and have come up very nice. The engine, gearbox and primary are ready for assembly, just waiting for some of the hardware to come back from the cad platers. All the main engine plate and other major "Studs" have been "parkerised" and are ready for assembly. Most all of the major frame, swingarm, pivot plate assembly and many other smaller parts have all been painted in Dupont. The fuel tank which had a couple of dents, I repaired myself, made up some brass cover discs and soldered these over the holes in the base of the tank, the side stainless panels have been polished up and the next stage will be the final masking up and paint. Before polishing the sides, I masked off the side panels and lightly sand blasted the top and bottom panels to ensure a perfectly clean and rust free surface which I then treated with a light coating of rust converter and this helps stop the clean steel from any further surface rust. This is a huge help when cleaning steel parts that may sit around for some time before painting, it is easy to do, and does not affect the paint process. I elected to simply buy all new handlebar controls as trying to find good originals is very difficult and getting them replated is quite expensive. I sent the section of the original rear mudguard off to Vintage Steel in Western Australia and I am awaiting their response. I bought a newly made alloy side stand from Rodney Brown, and Neal Videan has mentioned that he should be able to supply me with a newly made rear stand. If any of you need any new series "A" cam followers, and/or rockers........Let me know, as both Neal and Rodney have made new ones that are absolutely beautifully made. Neal borrowed the two original rockers off this engine to copy, and he not only copied them, but he has two versions to suit either the original valves, and others to suit the post war valves. They differ in the width between the fork end of the rockers. Cheers for now..................Greg.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Wow Simon That's great.......You've just saved me a bundle.......I do believe I have the tubular folding foot pieces after all. Only in the box of spares I had no idea what they were. I'm sure I've seen those dip switches before, but like you say.....pretty rare on any good day. That's a great photo of an original bike.... I like the square headed handlebar lever clip screws. The ammeter looks more like the version on the mid-era postwar bikes. Just looked at Chris post above, but I think Simon's picture just answered your question. There was one for sale on flea bay the other day which I bid on, but it sold for over a 100 pounds.......!!!!! I didn't realize they were that rare. Cheers and thanks again..............Greg.
The ammeter in the photo is a later one. It should have what is refered to as the "lighthouse" Miller ammeter.
The square headed handlebar lever clip screws are correct as well.
Simon

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I gave Ron a few small bits, A few months ago, With those Square screws !!, He left them at home when he left about 50 years ago !!, Don't know if he still has them, He tells me he sent you out something this year. Cheers Bill.