Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
OK back to series "A"s...........Ok I spent some time this afternoon talking to the blokes from "Vintage Steel" in Western Australia about the reproduction mudguards after I sent them the rear one off this bike which is in excellent condition except the section aft of the lifting handle has been cut off........:eek:......... The good news is that they can replicate the guards exactly (they even have some in stock with the right "C" section already) but they asked if the front of the front guard has a rolled edge, and does the rear (tail) of the rear guard have a rolled edge.......??? they asked me this because the front edge of the original rear guard has a "Folded edge" of about 3 mm (1/8th of an inch) so could someone who has original guards please have a good look and let me know. Remember there is a difference between a "Rolled edge" and a simple"Folded edge" The next important question is numbers..........If I get a batch of 6 or so sets made the cost comes down (not sure by how much yet) and I am guessing that the cost for a matched set is not going to be horrendous because the guards are actually pretty simple. It is really only the cut out and folded section on the rear guard to clear the chain guard that needs more work other than the plain shape of the guard itself. So if any of you, or anyone you can think of that may need a set of guards for an "A" twin or single, please let me know quite soon, as it would be better to make up a batch of say 10 than just one set for myself just to complete this bike. Remember that these guards are not easy to come by and finding someone who can get the right section is very very small unless they tool up to do it, and this is very expensive. The problem I have is that I would struggle to fund the purchasing of so many sets of guards and have them sitting on the shelf for years to come, so for those of you who might be interested please let me know and I can organize the rest. The manufacturer is going to give me a price in the next day or so, but they need to know the other details about the front /rear edges of both front and rear guards. Many thanks and cheers for now..................Greg.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Greg my handsome, I would like a FRONT guard please as I already have two rears when Robert Watson got a bunch of rears made.
bananaman.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Greg
I have a large collection of series A photos that I have gathered over the years and a few show a rolled edge to the front of the front mudguard, but most (75%) show just a plain cut edge, not roller or folded edge. None of the photos show anything but a cut edge to the rear guard. I have photos of a mid 1937 Comet which was bought new by the current owners Uncle and laid up in 1940 and even though it is rough it is very original having never been restored and the edges of the guard appear to be plain cut and not rolled or folded. This does not mean that all were like this as things may have changed throughout production.
Good luck
Simon

greg brillus

VOC Member
That's fine, I'm just trying to get some idea of numbers, and it appears that some need fronts only to match the rear ones Robert had made some time ago. Simon thanks for the info on the front/rear lip of the guards.....It would be nice to see a couple of good pictures showing even the shape of the curve at the very ends of the front/rear guards. Only other option would be if they make them slightly longer and owners can finish the final shape themselves, but I feel the company could do a neater and more consistent job. Cheers...........Greg.

nkt267

VOC Member
I feel the company could do a neater and more consistent job. Cheers...........Greg.
the samples they had at the Banbury run were fabulous. I'd get a set done by them for my Sunbeam if it were feasible.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I spoke to "Vintage Steel" again today and they would like to know for the front guard only...........The distance from the center of the front axle to the main attachment point in the center of the forks, and...........The distance from the center of the front axle to the rear back face of the guard where the front stand attaches. I think this is so they can get an accurate radius for the front guard. He said the two dimensions should be very much the same, assuming the guard follows a constant path in relation to the tire wall. I can't get these figures as the forks are at the paint shop, and I don't have any front stays/front stand yet. I am also basing all this on original wheel and tire sizes as well 3 x 20 Front and 3.5 x 19 rear. Cheers for now.............Greg.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
This is the nearest I have available at present, 16" to the lug minus 1/4" as tape is under side of axle.
L1020143.jpg
L1020141.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
This loading up of pictures is magic. Whats the name of the gent who refurbishes Brampton's as these are heavily pitted, and need to get these done so I can swap with the ones off "Old Harry" which is still in Tasmania.
bananaman

mercurycrest

VOC Member
This is what I came up with, The stand is an original, but the fender is from Armours. I don't know what there was at the works for a spacer originally.

A Fender.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: