Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

stevee

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've got the original knurled knobs on my Comet and there is no sign of chrome... I'd guess they were cadmium, or maybe, even nickel on show bikes. Whatever it was is long gone just like on the rocker feeds and breather line.
All the old photos I have seen show them black- as does the picture of this unrestored 1937 Comet
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 12.51.03.png

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Certainly on my pre Series A 1931 Python Sports Vincent (same style spring boxes with contracting clip for friction damping) there was no sign of any plating on the knurled brass knobs and they were painted black.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ok thanks for that, Oh well it looks like We'll be going with the Model "T" color chart..............Any color you like so long as it's "Black"..............Should have these made in the next few days.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Yep, I have a pair of the damper knobs in a box of original spares with much of the black paint still on them. No sign of undercoat or primer though.

Peter B

mercurycrest

VOC Member
All the old photos I have seen show them black- as does the picture of this unrestored 1937 Comet
View attachment 16805

I can agree with Black, there are traces of it on the numbers and knurling on my Comet's nobs. 'Good thing I never was much of a polisher. So, is the shift lever supposed to be straight, or dog legged? Mine was straight to begin with....... ;)

greg brillus

VOC Member
Does anyone know what pitch thread in the center of the knob is, I know it's 3/8 diameter, but is it cycle or BSF. Cheers............Greg.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Does anyone know what pitch thread in the center of the knob is, I know it's 3/8 diameter, but is it cycle or BSF. Cheers............Greg.

The one's I have with evidence of black paint are 3/8"BSF.
But a pair of obvious shiny reproduction ones that I picked-up in the US years ago are UNF!! Ugh! :eek::rolleyes:

This leads on to some other issues regarding spring-box fasteners. Referring to Bill Parr's Series A Spares List on Pages 46/47;

1. Don't forget that the F94B bolt, that the brass knobs screw on to, has a rounded head (slightly domed) to stop people trying to turn it with a spanner. This is important because just under that head, and touching it, is a transverse steel pin pressed-in to prevent the bolt from turning with the brass knob. For reference the bolt is 2-1/4" long (under head) with 1-1/4" of thread.

2. The late great Bob Stafford told me there are were different materials for the spring claws (e.g. mine are Al Alloy - but it is a TTC:cool:) and different threads in them from 1933ish to 1939. The Bill Parr listing shows the corresponding "570" thin nut on the spring eyes as 7/16 CEI (which means it is not a post-war BSF "570" then!). I've not seen a 7/16 x 26 CEI spring claw but mine are quite clearly 7/16 x 20 Whitworth-form threads (on a std Whit hexagon) - the 20tpi's being a derivative of the CEI offerings. (I made up a small batch in SS if anyone finds they need a set).

The post-war Vincent guys really don't know just how lucky they are by having every last detail of their machines fully documented, part-numbered and available!!! That said, there's nothing better than a challenge to keep the grey matter functioning....

Peter B

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ok next lot of questions..........Does anyone know what kind of dip switch the prewar Comets and Meteor's had..........? Also has anyone any decent pictures and /or details showing the rear pillion footrest mounting brackets and the footrest pieces themselves. I have the mounting brackets although they have been slightly modified, but I am missing the footrest pieces themselves. Whilst I'm at it, would any member have a spare restoreable one inch Amal throttle assembly, they seem to be quite scarce to find and the repro ones are a bit ordinary. Cheers..............Greg.