• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Great, thanks Chankly, I think we now have enough info on the square-headed bolts - except that I would amend my drawing/description above to a 1/4" rad dome (not 5/16") on the head of the bolt.

But, more important, I am concerned that in asking around local 'A' owners about the brake/clutch-lever pivot distance from centre of pivot to centre of nipple, I am getting different replies! It would be really helpful if those with alleged original levers could measure-up and let us know what you find.

I am aware that other makes (eg BSA) used pretty-much identical 5" long solid curvy levers - but with different pivot distances! It is likely that some of these have migrated on to our HRDs. So it would be useful to know what the Series 'A' standard(?) originally was; so over to you guys..... (it only takes 30 seconds to measure the pivot distance with a steel rule to the nearest 1/16th inch - both levers please).....

Thanks in anticipation,

Peter B

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Weren't both levers identical with the brake cable (Bowden's usually) slot upper most ??
as mine are on the Rapide, can't check just yet as in NZ, Bill are you there, take a look please.
bananaman.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Weren't both levers identical with the brake cable (Bowden's usually) slot upper most ??
Yes Marcus, absolutely they were. But after 80 years of mishaps and basket cases, there's a wide variety of oddities out there now. But I'd like to know what the standard(?) pivot distance was.... if Bill (or anyone else?) can oblige :)

Peter B

billirwinnz

VOC Member
Sorry Marcus. I've only just read this.

Yours and my Rapides have identical levers 1 1/16" pivot centres and the cable slot uppermost on the brake lever.

Cheers Bill

greg brillus

VOC Member
Is it possible the bikes used different levers, that is, did the twins have the longer grips and longer levers, verses the singles........did these use the shorter standard length grips and shorter levers. Then there are Amal and Bowden levers which are quite different again, The Comet I'm doing here, I have a set of the original shorter levers like in the pictures either Mark or Simon posted on here of an original unrestored bike. Those pictures are very helpful for detail in these rebuilds.

vin998

VOC Member
I suspect the factory used whatever was available at the time. If Amal was running short because they had sent their weekly production to Rudge or Triumph do you think Vincent would have stopped building bikes until Amal could supply some levers? No they would have just bought some from another supplier. As long as it fitted the right diameter bars and has the right pivot distance then a lever would have been a lever to the factory.

vin998

VOC Member
Here is another bike. This is a one family from new bike which has never been restored. Its said the bike was laid up in a barn during WW2 and never used since, but the clutch lever has been replaced with a post war type. Also the horn & dip switch have been moved around.
Yes that is the original factory maroon on the tank. Not the best quality photo so don't assume the exact shade of maroon from the photo, but it confirms it should be a dark red and not bright red.

Simon
Img_1525a.jpg Img_1530a.jpg