Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

Dinny

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I cannot measure my original chainguard at this time as it's on a slow boat to the US. I will let you know when it arrives

Mark

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Pics of my guard, original but with modifications, I have two captive threads and they look original, both 430mm from centre of front hole.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The one I have here has that section cut out as well, though not quite that much. It must be to clear something, I don't know till I reassemble the bike to that stage again.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
image.jpg
What is the measurement between holes Greg, seems there is a big difference between those so far. Enclosed pic is of my miller magneto and genny, the genny is fine but does anyone have a spare pick up or end piece. Both items are chewed out on mine. Anyone know if anyone is making?

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Looking at it, the cutout must be to clear the wheel rim/tyre when an oversize tyre has been fitted???

greg brillus

VOC Member
Regarding the center to center holes......I drew a straight line up from the hole in the front mounting bracket, and then back to the center of the anchor hole at the rear. If you are just measuring the holes center to center, then that explains why your figure is higher than mine. The parts for that Miller dynomag (same as what I have on this Comet) would be difficult to find. I do know of a chap here in Australia who might have some spares. I might try and contact him to see what he has, although parts would be easier to find in the UK.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ok just an update, I have had a good batch of the original type brass oil/fuel line ferrals made in the two sizes and they are perfect, right down to the fine 0.5 mm pitch straight cut knurling as on the originals. I will be sending these away for Cadmium plating very soon. I am also making up a small batch of the brass knurled knobs and special captive bolt that forms the clamp for the rear spring box dampers, so if anyone wants a pair let me know. I need to know the following........I'm guessing the special bolt had a cad finish and the brass knobs were chrome plated........Is this correct.......? Cheers..............Greg.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Greg
I think the rear damper knobs were cadmium and not chrome. Every one I have seen appears to be cadmium or similar, but these are on restored bikes. On my A I have the wing nut type which is also a different type of banding around the spring box. Yes there were two versions of the rear damper assembly.
Simon

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Ok just an update, I have had a good batch of the original type brass oil/fuel line ferrals made in the two sizes and they are perfect, right down to the fine 0.5 mm pitch straight cut knurling as on the originals. I will be sending these away for Cadmium plating very soon. I am also making up a small batch of the brass knurled knobs and special captive bolt that forms the clamp for the rear spring box dampers, so if anyone wants a pair let me know. I need to know the following........I'm guessing the special bolt had a cad finish and the brass knobs were chrome plated........Is this correct.......? Cheers..............Greg.
I've got the original knurled knobs on my Comet and there is no sign of chrome... I'd guess they were cadmium, or maybe, even nickel on show bikes. Whatever it was is long gone just like on the rocker feeds and breather line.