Misc: Oil Oil For Rapide

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

Have you done bit of pivot there Glen? I have been stocking up on VR1 from amazon based on our previous discussions, seems reasonable price around $12/L, I see it has gone up a bit. Is the GTX Classic available from CanTire? or ? I don't see it on Amazon.
Hi Jim and Glen,

I recall paying about $9 bucks per container for the VR1 at wallmart. I am currently using this oil that is available in Australia and New Zealand. It has a high zinc like the VR1. Penrite also do a classic motorcycle oil in different weights as well.

https://www.repco.co.nz/en/oils-flu...il-5l-hpr50005/p/A1030666?kwSearch=Penrite 40

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
For ages the VR1 was available at Napa for around $7 per qt.
I also bought 32 qts. of VR1at Walmart in the US for $4 per qt. That was in 2018, all used now.
The $25 usd jugs of Castrol GTX Classic were available at Walmart US.
I haven't found the GTX Classic anywhere in Canada.

Glen

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Last May, I bought a 5 QT jug of Castrol GTX Classic off Amazon, for US $19.32. The current price is US $24.28.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Lots more washers !
Hi
I think I’ll just get the minimum amount of washers needed plus the filter. Lot’s of part numbers.
I may change the rocker oil feed washers and the oil quill one.
Any help with which ones to get and how many would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 8DE9E309-E7E8-404F-845C-91C6BE9E7F0B.png
    8DE9E309-E7E8-404F-845C-91C6BE9E7F0B.png
    318 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Alyson

VOC Member
For ages the VR1 was available at Napa for around $7 per qt.
I also bought 32 qts. of VR1at Walmart in the US for $4 per qt. That was in 2018, all used now.
The $25 usd jugs of Castrol GTX Classic were available at Walmart US.
I haven't found the GTX Classic anywhere in Canada.

Glen
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Valvol...xxW1QrTbx9h8Zuc5ewBoCkN4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Hi Glen, shows they have it in Penticton :) I'll look into this today and if they have some I'll grab some. I've been using the Lucas oil for old timers, no not me, my motorcycle ;)

Alyson

VOC Member
In Canada, try Red Line. Especially they have GL4 gear oil. They also do engine oil. I have not checked if theirs is high zinc or not.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Red line has an oil that is extra high in Zddp, 2200 ppm. Most high zinc oils such as the Vr1, Castrol XL classic and Castrol GTX Classic have around 1200 ppm zddp.
Apparently more isn't always better as the very high zinc content Redline did not offer much protection during it's scar test.

Glen