Misc: Oil Oil For Rapide

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
For changing the oil in the primary chain case I use an oil suction gun/syringe to suck out the old oil.
Yes, I have a Mityvac that I’m using to bleed the R1100RS brakes. Need to get a syringe though
as they need reverse bleeding.

danno

Non-VOC Member
But after changing a main filter , I would go for a paper one,

Nice to use a new washer under the long bolt head,
We don't want any oil leaks !.
Spares Company have the filters but min order is £20 I think.
Maybe get the washer too but was wondering if there’s any other items that normally get changed
when renewing the engine oil.
Might get a magnetic sump drain plug.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Lots more washers !,
That washer fits the main feed and return oil lines at the bottom,
Always good to have a stock of those, That's 2 on each union !.

Rocker cap washers that's 10 to a Twin engine , 8 on the top and one for primary and one for gear selector top.

Be careful not to tighten the oil union bolts too much ,
It is not a strong point on Vincents " Into Alloy ", And try and keep the washers dry as you fit them,
If they get oil on them they can go weak,
I have been trying Alloy washers with rubber inserts, Not sure if it's better,
There is not much "Give " in them and you could over tighten them and strip the thread in the cases.

Always handy to have T/Cover and Primary Cover Gaskets and the small one for ATD cover,
If you take the timing cover off ,
Nice to replace the 4 rubbers that control the oil feeds to cams and Cylinder feeds ,
All small stuff but handy ?.

It's a pain to send off for one small thing,, So I like to have stuff in stock,
But where do you stop ? :) .

The 2 Exhaust sealing washers where the pipes go into the C/head.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Lots more washers !,
That washer fits the main feed and return oil lines at the bottom,
Always good to have a stock of those, That's 2 on each union !.

Rocker cap washers that's 10 to a Twin engine , 8 on the top and one for primary and one for gear selector top.

Be careful not to tighten the oil union bolts too much ,
It is not a strong point on Vincents " Into Alloy ", And try and keep the washers dry as you fit them,
If they get oil on them they can go weak,
I have been trying Alloy washers with rubber inserts, Not sure if it's better,
There is not much "Give " in them and you could over tighten them and strip the thread in the cases.

Always handy to have T/Cover and Primary Cover Gaskets and the small one for ATD cover,
If you take the timing cover off ,
Nice to replace the 4 rubbers that control the oil feeds to cams and Cylinder feeds ,
All small stuff but handy ?.

It's a pain to send off for one small thing,, So I like to have stuff in stock,
But where do you stop ? :) .

The 2 Exhaust sealing washers where the pipes go into the C/head.
Thanks. That should bump it over £20.
Yes, I notice the rocker caps seep a bit of oil so can get those washers.
Also the dynamo cover gasket as I think I made one up.

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Unfortunately the US version didn't exist when the scar testing was done. The chemical compositions of the UK and US versions are very similar, though not identical.

I've been having trouble finding Valvoline VR1 at a reasonable price here, so I stocked up on the Castrol GTX Classic instead.
The UK Castrol Classic XL showed greater scar resistance than the VR1, which was already quite good.
The UK Castrol product also had a much lower friction level than the VR1.

Glen
Have you done bit of pivot there Glen? I have been stocking up on VR1 from amazon based on our previous discussions, seems reasonable price around $12/L, I see it has gone up a bit. Is the GTX Classic available from CanTire? or ? I don't see it on Amazon.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member

Have you done bit of pivot there Glen? I have been stocking up on VR1 from amazon based on our previous discussions, seems reasonable price around $12/L, I see it has gone up a bit. Is the GTX Classic available from CanTire? or ? I don't see it on Amazon.
Hi Jim
The VR1 is still as good as ever, however the price has gone up a lot recently, so I looked around for an alternative.
I recalled that Castrol Classic xl offered even more protection than the VR1, but I could only find it in the UK. With shipping to Canada it would be more expensive than the VR1.
Recently I stumbled onto the Castrol GTX classic in the US. I don't think this was available when Jim did the testing. It has a similar level of ZDDP as Castrol Classic XL and VR1, so it should be excellent for our old engines. Castrol states that the GTX Classic is formulated for flat tappet engines, as is the VR1 and Castrol Classic XL.
The price was right at $25 for a 5 quart jug.
At that price you don't mind changing the oil often, which is always a good thing.

Glen