Norvins

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Back in the sixties, all we wanted was a racing bike to complete the cafe racer scene. My norvin is exactly that, a manx norton(on the day a g-p racer) with the engine from the "fastest bike in the world" It really can't get much better, for my money. Just a shame I built it 50 years too late.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ok next question.......Does anyone feel there would be much demand for newly made "Chopped type" crankcases. That is new engine cases minus the gearbox but perhaps with some added lugs cast into the rear of the engine to mount engine plates that run vertically up the rear of the casing..........?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
It would be an interesting idea. Perhaps mounting an English-made 5- speed Enfield gearbox (which you can buy off the shelf).

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I think the new chopped cases idea would depend on the price, if they were only a bit cheaper it wouldn't be worth it.
I like the idea of making them with lugs on the back.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
For all the accolades we heap onto the two Phil's for innovation we don't hear too much about the shift to unit construction, long before Triumph, BSA, Ariel, Norton, Velocette, etc. I will disregard the two stroke tiddlers as most of those had it. Why would anyone want to revert back, I can understand it for the odd special back in the day, but a standard Vincent gearbox was great in its day and still is, and if you want something even better go and see Maughan & Son for their needle roller conversion or John Surtees for a 5 speed cluster (as used by Godet) but to go back to fiddling around adjusting two chains and felt seals between gearbox and primary drive, no thanks!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Eric did well to keep the mag' cowl on his, And the standard gearbox, How did he get away with that Ex' pipe ?. Nice Job.
This is a real one, The late Peter Ross, West london, It was fast too !.
Cheers Bill.
Viscount4.jpg

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Without in any way wanting to demean Eric Patterson's achievements at the salt flats, I think it is extremely regrettable that the Peter Ross Viscount no longer exists in its original form, I guess some people would feel the same way about Tom Somerton breaking up a standard Vincent to build a Viscount.

Les Thomson

Non-VOC Member
This is what I've done to mount gearbox in my Norvin
I've just received a steel Manx style fuel tank from India, quality looks OK
Nothing a good bog up wont fix. I've got a fibreglass fuel tank with oil tank at the back
but I've cut out the filler caps to make it a fuel only tank.I was going to fit a Monza flip cap.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 87