Misc: Electrical (General) LED Indicators

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The Badlands module is similar to the Signal Dynamics module I have on the Rapide. It also works as is with LEDs or incandescent.
The Signal Dynamics does a bit more in that it has four distinct modes.
I have used all four, although the one and two second presses get the most use.

Turn Signal Modes
Mode 1 : Press turn signal button for 1 second, turn signal light will flash for 7 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when changing lanes.
Mode 2 : Press turn signal button for 2 seconds, turn signal light will flash for 20 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when slowing down to go around a corner.
Mode 3 : Press turn signal button for 4 seconds, turn signal light will flash for 75 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when stopping at a signal light and turn will be made after stopping.

Note: All three modes above can be cancelled by pressing the same turn signal button a second time.

Mode 4 :
Hazard Mode - is available all the time and will flash until cancelled. To engage, depress both the left and right turn signal buttons for 1 second. To cancel, depress both buttons again for one second.

vibrac

VOC Member
Sounded great till I saw the price:eek: I think I will pass (my hands out)
1645992916929.png

danno

Non-VOC Member
The Badlands module is similar to the Signal Dynamics module I have on the Rapide. It also works as is with LEDs or incandescent.
The Signal Dynamics does a bit more in that it has four distinct modes.
I have used all four, although the one and two second presses get the most use.

Turn Signal Modes
Mode 1 : Press turn signal button for 1 second, turn signal light will flash for 7 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when changing lanes.
Mode 2 : Press turn signal button for 2 seconds, turn signal light will flash for 20 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when slowing down to go around a corner.
Mode 3 : Press turn signal button for 4 seconds, turn signal light will flash for 75 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when stopping at a signal light and turn will be made after stopping.

Note: All three modes above can be cancelled by pressing the same turn signal button a second time.

Mode 4 : Hazard Mode - is available all the time and will flash until cancelled. To engage, depress both the left and right turn signal buttons for 1 second. To cancel, depress both buttons again for one second.

Looks useful but I’m fine with manual control. I have the 3 position switch as shown on Paul Goff’s site.
Centre position being off.
Hopefully I can use the wiring installed. There’s also an orange warning light mounted in the headlight.

It’s a bit of a fiddly job as each light needs an earth lead attached to the frame but I think some earth through the housing.
They’re £29.95 a pair (67mm length) on Paul’s website plus the LED type relay.
Hope that they’ll work ok.

highbury731

VOC Member
Danno, the mounting of the rear indicators on the bike looks ideal for damage to the wiring. I would suggest adding a mounting tab on the carrier, to their inboard end. That would enable the lit part to be further outboard.
I have not got as far as the electrical side of my Rapide build, but am planning to use an original Miller kill / light switch (high-off-low) intended for a moped on the right as an indicator switch + kill button

danno

Non-VOC Member
Yes, the wiring is exposed and prone to damage at the nut on the indicator.
Good idea to turn them around. I can make up some brackets.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Danno, the mounting of the rear indicators on the bike looks ideal for damage to the wiring. I would suggest adding a mounting tab on the carrier, to their inboard end. That would enable the lit part to be further outboard.

Have had a look at the carrier and a small straight bracket, about 2” could fix onto the nut and bolt arrowed.
They’d be angled diagonally down and to the rear and then the indicators would mount the correct way round.
Would save a bit if I can fit LED bulbs in these housings as there’s nothing wrong with them.
The original bulbs are 30mm x 8mm with small locating pins.

Attachments

• 8C21AC68-45BA-471E-BA99-030C97E9B12E.jpeg
    8C21AC68-45BA-471E-BA99-030C97E9B12E.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 26

danno

Non-VOC Member
Have made up some brackets for the rear indicators and contacted Paul Goff regarding LED ones.
For now, I’ve bought a new 21w x2 + 5w relay and a couple of 23w bulbs to see if I can fix the current ones on the bike.
RH side flashes so does the orange dash light but LH side front also flashes dimly with it too.
Switching on the LH side, the front bulb lights constantly with dash light and the rear not at all.
Got to be something to do with the L rear indicator.

The circuit has a chrome 3 position switch, a headlamp mounted warning light and the 4 x 23w indicators.
I can’t quite get my head around how it all works but I’ll persevere with checking the wiring.

Attachments

• 119FD0DC-9C30-431D-853A-721871D8EFE1.jpeg
    119FD0DC-9C30-431D-853A-721871D8EFE1.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: