Jig to Hold Head in Lathe

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Earlier this year I purchased a small item off eBay that Roy had listed, as it can be quite a pleasant ride using small roads to Roy’s house, I rode there on my Rapide, and my Son Jamie came along on his H1 Kawasaki triple to collect the won item. As has been stated, Roy is not in the first flush of youth, but he was in great form, such a brilliant chap, he has a method of moving his heavy bikes around his garage using small individual wheel trollies from memory, I just remember the bikes floating around with zero effort.
Also has a great sense of humour, he said he derives a certain degree of optimism when he learns that someone of a similar age to himself has passed, he said statistically that information extends his life expectations.
Also he was philosophical about losing his pilots licence, apparently he had always kept a low profile and continued flying, gliders I think, but not sure, then the powers that be latched onto fact that he was still flying at 90+ and withdrew his licence.
Such a clever chap, and a real nice guy with it.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I wouldn't doubt Glen Bewley has a jig USA number 423 257-5200. And while speaking of master machinist Roy Cross I recall him stating that if he knew then what he knows now about the stock Vincent clutch he would have never changed any of his bikes to another clutch. I seem to recall he also made a jig to set up the clutch, and I'm sure I sent a copy of the drawings to Glen B for it as well.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
His mph and Vincent contributions live on for us all to use no matter his age.

I personally can not thank those early mph contributors enough. So much wonderful and useful information for this generation of riders has come from them.
The Bowen's are to thank for putting together their '40 Years On' and 'Ten More Years' books that compiled invaluable info from the MPH's. I devoured both books and credit them for a lot of my knowledge.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I wouldn't doubt Glen Bewley has a jig USA number 423 257-5200. And while speaking of master machinist Roy Cross I recall him stating that if he knew then what he knows now about the stock Vincent clutch he would have never changed any of his bikes to another clutch. I seem to recall he also made a jig to set up the clutch, and I'm sure I sent a copy of the drawings to Glen B for it as well.
Drawing - Clutch Shoe Setting Jig

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have been involved in doing 2 gearbox jobs,
One of them not mine,
And I think if it happened to me again, I would make a "Steel " "adjustable" ,
"Bolt in Plate" !!,
Also the welding can mess up the shape of the cases ?,
Because it only has to be a few thou out to give a lot of trouble,
You would not see it because it's under the dynamo,
Just my Thoughts.