Jig to Hold Head in Lathe

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Snap, had extensive welding done on a head and Chis Tilly got Clev Trev to make a jig so I could machine it that I completed two days ago.
IMG_3950.jpeg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Correct my handsome, Chris mounted stud bar and screwed on aluminium hex distance with extended 9/16" diameter with split collets and wedge shaped slotted screws to open out the collets securing the jig to the head, but keeping all the fixings below the head surface.
When I dismantle it I will take another photo to show you.

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What other jigs do you have Marcus? I like your mudguard stay forming tools.
Maybe the title of this thread should be just jigs. Folks can post photos…. “should be“ a relatively benign subject? Guessing Trev has a few….

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Cyborg my handsome, any excuse I will make another JIG it's just something to change my mind to do some thing different, keeping the brain active, the ability to concentrate and stay focused is extremely difficult after spending so many years in keeping focused on getting ships and bananas in prime condition to destinations world wide. Presently I have about seven projects on the go, could do with some serious help.
A) 1952 Rapide (first Vincent I ever saw that my sister used to pillion on) in West Looe 1958 Lighteningised
by Clifford Brown George's brother.
B) "A" Comet all working but oil pump needs to be pulled down to renew drive pin on scavenge gears
C) The works made trials Flash built for Pat Wilson (of Lawton & Wilson Southampton)
D) My recently acquired "D" Comet after selling an all matching "C" Comet & fitting an electric starter.
E) Sunbeam 1919 "V" twin JAP engine 996 cc that I try ing to get rid of
F) Set of enclosures to make my sons "D" Rap into a Knight
G) Another twin "B" motor to mack a Black Lightening Replica as Gordon Powell thinks the motor came from a Cooper.
H) Another set of Comet cases to make a Meteor unless any one has a set of HRD cases for a pair o Comet ones ?
The most popular jig is the twin plugging of heads, made over 30 years ago whilst on an "M" boat the last I served on was 1990. It's been around to three members this year alone and it is used with hand tools only no machinery required. Secure the jig into the head using a crew in adaptor to drill the second hole then use the guided facing tool to seat the plug against. Remove the adaptor and drill through the threaded jig to drill through the head and then tap through the threaded hole to keep the tap straight, Also used to drill out old valve guides then pilot drill the inlet guide housing larger so the quad rings can be machined at the lower end of the guide leaving the top with the knife edge to scrape off the surplus oil but allows oil into guide to lubricate. 1/2" guide diameter is not sufficient to fit a quad seal into, make sense !

IMG_3965.jpeg

MORE TO FOLLOW IN FACT SEVERAL MORE IF THERE IS A LIKING FOR THEM
bananaman.

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Marcus,

Looks good. Hand tools only is a bonus.

Definitely an interest here. Working on motorcycles is a love hate thing, but making tools and jigs is always fun. There should be a thread on shop made special tools and jigs. Many good ideas out there, but when we take the big dirt nap, our heirs will just bin the stuff and all those good ideas will be lost. Plus when we forget what we made it for, we can come back to the thread
and scroll through the photos.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
That is happening already before the "big dirt nap" (I like that), but after I won't care anyway. When I was getting them out yesterday I kept looking hard at some things thinking "what did I make that for."

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
The slide hammer,,, made on board when I became chief of a riding Gang of Four Philippine fitter/motormen on the three large container ships plying the East coast USA Golfport and Willington and loading in Honduras, the Generators where in such a state of disrepair that I was asked if I would take on the task as I was always given the worst ships as the office said I always seemed so enthusiastic about my ships I was serving on. these ships had six generators apiece all the other ships had four. After four years we had gone through and overhauled each generator renewing five crankshafts they gave me a makers man from Denmark for the first one (a five cylinder) two fives and four nine cylinders with a combined power output of 3.5 MW and main engine was a B & W eight cylinder cathedral engine 103 max RPM and a little more than 20k horse power.
The slide as made from zinc billet initial use was to pull out fuel injectors with an M10 male thread in the end then made an array of attachments all starting with an M10 nut then all sizes of imperial & metric thread sizes the lower one being used to remove rocker assemblies with the chain king link to fit into tappet hole. 5/16" BSF long stud to remove oil pump sleeve but remember to remove the G 50 plate as I buggered the flange on the end and ruined a relatively new sleeve now it sumps in a week as I fitted a miss matched pump assembly. That was on my last strip down (7th in 57 years) just to replace main bearings, steel caged rollers as found them on my magnetic sump plug so went and sourced bronze caged ones old style.

IMG_3967.jpeg